VSG - How long did you take off from work?

vsgjae
on 10/19/14 5:37 pm

Hey all! My surgery is set for December 1. It is a Monday and I will be in the hospital, barring no complications until Wednesday. My plan is to take off that week and the following. I am just looking to see what other people have taken and how they felt. My job is not physically demanding although I do stand and drive quite a bit. I have some friends who have taken one week, and some as much as 4 weeks. Thanks for any input!

tstowe
on 10/18/14 10:11 am

I was out two weeks as well.

vsgjae
on 10/19/14 7:05 am

Awesome! Thanks! I imagine the recovery time to be similar to that of my lap gallbladder removal, just needed a little reassurance ;)

Lady1000
on 10/18/14 10:53 am

2 weeks 

5 years of waiting and I finally have my sleeve!!!!

Dr Rodolofo Wilhelmy VSG September 2014 

vsgjae
on 10/19/14 7:06 am

Thank you!!

Luvmygs
on 10/20/14 1:13 am, edited 10/20/14 3:58 am
VSG on 12/04/14

My surgery is scheduled for Dec 4th! My doctor wants me to take 4 weeks. I think everyone is different. As long as you don't over do it, because your stomach will still be in the healing process at 2 weeks. Congratulations! Join us on the "Vertical Sleeve" Forum under Surgery Types!  Christine

vsgjae
on 10/20/14 2:53 am

Thanks Luvmygs!

Colleen O.
on 10/20/14 1:34 am
VSG on 04/09/14

I was out almost 4 weeks.  It had nothing to do with how well I was healing - I physically felt ok to return much sooner.  My surgeon's office wouldn't release to return, though.  They wanted me to at least be on soft foods before heading back to work.  I thought they were being a bit overly cautious but in the end I'm glad they were so careful.  The transition wasn't difficult but I did find that it was more thought and work than I had anticipated.  I was glad to not have to do all of that while in the office.  I guess my point is to consider more than just the physical healing.  Consider the major changes and transitions that be taking place during the first few months after surgery.  Have a backup plan in case you need more than two weeks.

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

vsgjae
on 10/20/14 2:53 am

Hey Colleen! Thanks for the thoughtful reply! In all my visits with my surgeons office and the program I am in, we have been encouraged to get back to out daily routines as soon as we feel able. Luckily I am a household manager/nanny for older children and my job doesn't include any real  backbreaking work, and takes place mostly in a house that in the last two years has become a second home to me. I also work mid-day to evening for a total of about 30 hours a week, definitely enough time outside of work to dedicate to my full recovery and health I'd say, but of course will play it by ear. Thanks again! :)

pattinavcohen
on 10/20/14 3:18 am
VSG on 08/13/14 with

I had my surgery on a Weds and was back to work on Monday. I mostly sit at a desk so it is a little different than your line of work but my surgeon prefers to get back to your routine as soon as possible. Good luck with your surgery.

Most Active