It Is A Tool

jastypes
on 11/4/14 10:10 pm - Croydon, PA

We've all heard it time and time again.  WLS is a tool.  It's not a cure.  It's not the forever, only answer to obesity.  Some things I've learned in the past 7 years about tools.  If the only tool I have in my toolbox at home is a hammer, I'm gonna be in trouble when I need to unscrew something.  If I try and use my hammer to open a can, it's not really effective.  So, what are some of the other tools in your toolbox to fight obesity/regain today?  I use OA, therapy, an accountability partner, prayer, WLS support group, Facebook support groups, WLS and OA friends, journaling, a plan of eating, nutritionist, measuring cups and a scale. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

angel720
on 11/5/14 3:08 am
VSG on 08/06/14

Do you still measure/weigh  food ?  What is an accountability partner?  Maintaining for 7 years is impressive, I would like  to add some of your tools to my tools box! Right now I only have my sleeve of course, my eating plan, my mom who is also a sleeve patient and my  routine weigh ins.   Do you find something more powerful that has helped in your success? I know we are all different. Sorry for all the questions!

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

jastypes
on 11/5/14 3:16 am - Croydon, PA

I don't mind questions!  I do still weigh and measure often because I find that when I don't, my portions seem to increase.  I have an e-mail sponsor in Overeaters Anonymous.  At the end of the day, I tell her everything I ate that day -- honestly.  I also do other things in that nightly check in, like see where I might have resentments, fears, etc.  I still say that my WLS is the strongest tool in my toolbox, but a close second to that is SUPPORT!

Blessings, Jill

lovingme2014
on 11/5/14 8:22 am
H.A.L.A B.
on 11/5/14 4:52 am

Agree,,, 

PLus - if tool is not used - it can't not work. 

example: I am a dumper..plus i have severe RH when I eat carbs...or sugars...  and I had dumping and I passionately hate the RH... but over last 6.5 years I learn how I can "cheat my tool, and eat candies and carbs and get very very mild reaction to it.  One night I ate probably 15-20 mini bags of M&M... or even more than that... the trick was to graze on them and drink water and coffee... And I got very mild "dump"; plus I can recognize when my BS starts dropping (RH) and the way to stop the drop  is to eat.. another small bag of M&M... I justified that by eating peanut M & M but once  I ate those - i also polished the peanut butter M&M... 

In reality I am only cheating myself...  I felt very tired the next day and gassy.. 

Now one day a year of overeating on M&M will not make me gain 10 lbs, and it even help my gut to get clean...so really no big deal? right? Thinking like that got me before WLS all the way to 250 lbs...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jastypes
on 11/5/14 4:59 am - Croydon, PA

Hi!!!  The problem for me eating like you describe is that I have a sugar addiction, and it wouldn't be one day a year of overeating M&Ms.  I'd eat them one day, then a week later, then a couple days later, etc. etc.  I learned to eat around my tool too, but gratefully have also learned how to stop doing that.  I have RH like you, and what you describe is called "carb cycling," I believe.  My sugar drops, so I eat some carbs (or sugar), which brings it back up, and then it drops again, so I repeat the pattern.  My dietician suggested drinking a glass of milk when it happens.  Yeah, right.  I don't know about you, but when I have RH, I want to eat anything not nailed down!  I have found that if I eat the way I am supposed to... 6 small meals a day, each with some protein, I avoid the sugar drops all together.

Blessings, Jill

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/5/14 5:41 am

i hear you with with the Sugar addiction.. I have it too...that's why the sugar binges can happen only very very seldom...and at teh end - when I want to stop the Rh - a lot of nuts eaten slowly over 2-3 hours will eventually stabilize my BS.. But I have low adrenals.. and and I on supplemental cortisone, I have to take it a few times a day (small qty) but if I forget or don't take enough I get hypoglycemia ... and with that low BS - I know i have to eat food - but I really don't want to eat...(not sure if that makes sense) so most times with my RH or hypoglycemia - unless I let it get to low 30's - I hate to eat anything... so candies are great because they taste good enough to swallow after I chew them... but that opens a door to sugar cycling... and allergies.. 

even with severe RH and real dumping.. I still can eat 2000 + calories in candies in one evening...if I chose to... Most of the time - i chose not to...

I trashed (garbage disposal)  cakes, cookies or candies that were left in my house after a party or get together.. if I was not sure I could trust myself with them being in the house - they they went... 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/5/14 5:42 am

The edit function for my post is gone... ugh...

Most Active