To DS or not to DS?

elaynemu
on 11/7/14 1:43 am

Unlike other posts that I have read, my journey to WLS has been lickity split.  They are sending it off for pre authorization and scheduling surgery next week so I have to make a decision on DS or sleeve. I am down for DS but have been worrying about one thing that might be a deal breaker.  It is about the loose stools and gas.  I prepare taxes in my own business so 9 months out of the year, I only work 3 days a week and the bathroom is right next to my office and I have the freedom to get up and go whenever I want.  However, during tax season, it is a client every hour, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.  Question is, can you take Imodium and Gas X and would they help?  I don't know with the changes to your digestive track, if they would still work.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/7/14 3:54 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You might want to post this question on the DS board.  Here's a link.  They'll be more helpful and respond quickly to your post.

Good luck!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

elaynemu
on 11/8/14 1:18 am

Thanks! Got some good help from Valerie & MsBatt.  I will go looking for the DS forum though.

Valerie G.
on 11/7/14 8:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm a 9 year post op, and I can attest that a good majority of the DS vets have a giant poop first thing in the morning, and the rest of the day is scott-fre.  The stool is looser, but it's under control, unlike diarrhea, which people mistake the thought of it with.  Understand the difference. 

Gas is something that is directly related to what I eat.  It takes a long time to identify all of your triggers, but I'm a corporate trainer, often in front of a group, so I understand your concern.  I eat strategically through the work day so there are no afternoon surprises and all is well.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

elaynemu
on 11/7/14 8:53 pm

Thanks so much, Valerie.  I know everyone's triggers are different but do you find it is the usual culprits for gas, such as beans, or is it unusual things, like peaches or something?

Valerie G.
on 11/7/14 9:29 pm, edited 11/7/14 9:30 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Strangely enough, the common culprits such as beans affect me 'some' but other foods like onions, Caesar salad and teriyaki sauce, for instance, even in the smallest amounts can have me going back and forth to the bathroom all night.  Onions were such a staple in our home that it took a week traveling for work and a delicious french onion soup to make the connection.  Other things for me are straight milk (while all other dairy is fine) and whey protein (egg white protein is a great substitute when I even need it on occasion).

Once I identified them and eliminated them, the difference was amazing.  It's been years since I've chased my family out of the room with gas :)

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 11/8/14 12:19 am

I'm almost 11 years post-DS, and like Val, I find that 95% of my gas is my own fault. Occasionally something will surprise me, but most of the time I make a conscious decision to eat X, knowing that will have some stinky gas later.

And yes, you'll have to figure out what gives YOU gas. The common culprits are things like flour, rice, potatoes, milk, and to a less degree, things like beans. The number one thing that gives ME painful, stinky gas is grilled onions and pepper, marinated in Italian dressing. I LOVE them, and I can eat them in moderation---but they're one of the few things that I can't make myself be 'moderate' with, so I just plan ahead. (*grin*)

Most Active