Fingernails 7 months post op?

Tina G.
on 11/27/14 9:11 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 04/14/14

Hi everyone it's been some time since I last wrote in here. I had RNY back ON Apr 14th 2014. I have lost 120 lbs, but it hasn't been easy. I have been hospitalized on 3 occasions since Apr. Yes I would still highly recommend having it done. But I now have 2 ulcers and they are sure taking a huge toll on me. One of my other concerns is that I have always had strong beautiful fingernails. I have had to keep them short for awhile now as they keep breaking. However, I also have nails that are either blue or whitish in colour now, They have horizontal ridges in them, infact for all you woman who have had artificial nails and had them removed you will understand what I am referring to. I can only assume I am lacking in some vitamin? All research I have done suggest this is an iron deficiency or from an underlying condition. Which may be indeed me being sick for the last 3 months. I am so tired of being in hospital and seeing my surgeon. I know it sounds stupid but should I call my Family Dr and see if he will refer me to an Endocrinologist? If anyone can provide input please write me back.

Thanks, Tina

kathkeb
on 11/27/14 6:38 am

I thought that RNY patients were supposed to have extensive blood work every 6 months for the first few years .. Then annually after that.

Did you go for yours in October?  Did they draw 10-12 vials for complete blood analysis?

if so, what were the results, if not, start there, I would think.

Your PCP should be able to order bloodwork.  I would not wait for a referral, I would start with the labs.

Kath

Lisarn1
on 11/27/14 6:53 am - Raleigh, NC

Actually after the first year, RNY patient have annual labs.

RNY 10/19/09 - Revision to VSG 10/13/14 - Dr Paul Enochs 

poet_kelly
on 11/27/14 7:37 am - OH

Many RNY patients do labs more often, especially for the first few years.  I did them every three months for the first year, then every six months for the next three years.  Now I only do them annually.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 11/27/14 7:36 am - OH

Have you had labs done lately?  I would guess mid-October when you were six months out?

What was your iron level?  Vitamin A?  PTH?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active