So stressed out

Jlynnr87
on 12/2/14 9:41 pm - Elbow lake , MN

Yes and no. The surgeon I initially considered didnt require the seminar. What he did was a first appointment with two or three people because they don't have any seminars scheduled at the moment. 

The more I've read about different types of surgery the more I question what one I want. I'm now also considering a DS. The first surgeon doesn't do that surgery, the surgeon that does is further away and does require the seminar.

im not sure what my next move is from here... 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/2/14 9:45 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Well you need to do what is right for you. Lapband has the highest complications and many surgeons are removing two for every one they put in. Many of them refuse to do them. Here is a link where you can research a lot. http://asmbs.org/

Jlynnr87
on 12/2/14 9:49 pm - Elbow lake , MN

I initially considered a band surgery, until I read all the bad things.

i am trying to decide between a VSG and a DS. The DS concerns me because of all the supplementing that is required post op. but I want to make sure that I have a surgery that will work for me. 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/2/14 9:57 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Many have lost a lot of weight with the sleeve. It is up to you. There are several on here who have done well with the DS. Yes the DS requires major keeping up on your bloodwork. Also I asked my surgeon about it and he said sure if you want to empty your bowels 5 times a day. So I went with the sleeve.

Jlynnr87
on 12/2/14 10:27 pm - Elbow lake , MN

Thanks for the imput! 

The maintenance with the DS is a little scary to me! 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/2/14 10:31 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

It was to me as well. Even though it can be a powerhouse of a surgery. It has malabsorption for life while the RNY is only for a few years. I just don't like the other stuff that goes with it.

MsBatt
on 12/3/14 6:21 am

Let me say this about the supplementing that the DS requires---it was daunting for me at first, too. Now it's a habit, and I don't think twice about it.

I also give it credit for improving my health, in a not-related-to weight-loss way. I had my DS 11 years ago, and my surgeon did NOT run any baseline, pre-op blood work. I didn't realize it at the time, but I also had **** poor PCP, who did little to no routine blood work on me. I have no idea where my pre-op levels were on most reallly important vitamin and mineral levels.

BUT---pre-op, I had some medical problems that are commonly connected to bad vitamin and mineral levels, like restless leg syndrome, iron-deficient anemia, etc. These have greatly improved since my DS, and I think it's because I NOW take a ot of vites and minerals, AND get routine blood work to insure I'm taking everything I need.

Studies have shown that a significant per centage of obese, and, even moreso,  morbidly obese people are malnourished---because obese and MO people tend to eat badly, AND because a lot of physicians blame every medical problem fat people have on BEING FAT. Very few PCPs routinely check vitamin and mineral levels, ESPECIALLY in the MO---there's this assumption that we're fat because we eat everything in sight, so OF COURSE we're getting all the vites and minerals we need. NOT TRUE.

huskergalWsD
on 12/2/14 11:40 pm

I attended 3 different seminars and spoke to 3 different surgeons before I finally went through with it. Then after all that to this day I have regrets of having wls. Im a blunt kinda woman and I need detail about everything I do in life, I never got that from all the seminars I attended. Surgeons didn't cover the small stuff we need to know to feel comfortable and confident to do wls.I still went thru with it because at that point it had been 2 years of research and the surgeon that did mine was the one with the good reputation, he is 50 miles from me. I regret having wls because I wasn't strong at that time. I am now. Losing weight makes ya that way. Lots of confidence comes to ya. No one told me about complications years out from wls. I have to have a Hernia repair and gallbladder removed soon. Most Rny people end up having this problem post op. Good Luck. Happy Holidays

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Jlynnr87
on 12/3/14 12:53 am - Elbow lake , MN

Luckily I have already had my gallbladder out. Or unluckily? After my first pregnancy I had gallstones like crazy. 

The unknown is what I worry about. I've already had 8 surgeries in my life and I don't like that it keeps being a reoccurring trend. I worry about complications after surgery, my fiancé is the only one that is working and so he has to work, he can't really stay at home with the kids if I would get sick or something. 

I have lost weight with Aitkins before. I know how to eat right, I just don't do it. I lost over 100 pounds when I was 17. I just don't want to feel like I am goving up on traditional weightless because I feel like there is no reason that I can't make that work. 

huskergalWsD
on 12/3/14 6:06 am

my Hernia and Gallbladder surgery will be surgery number 14.. Nurse is worried about me with this next one because of my heart condition.My heart goes out to you, so young and many surgeries already. I am scared of this next surgery I have to have. If you think the sleeve would work for you I would go with that . Don't really hear of any complications with that wls. I always thought I was going to be a total loser with this wls but I amaze myself everyday , I have kept it off 7 years..But still regret having wls. I know it don't make sense but is all true how I feel...

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Most Active