So stressed out

Jlynnr87
on 12/2/14 5:03 am - Elbow lake , MN

I am looking for a little encouragement. I have  been seriously considering WLS for about a month now, though I have thought about it numerous times over the years. I am 27 and I have been overweight my whole life. I have already contacted my insurance and picked a doctor, and now I am having second thoughts about even going to my first appointment. 

I am so stressed out over this choice. I'm scared its not going to work, I'm scared that I'm going to get my hopes up, and most of all I am worried that my fiancé isn't going to understand why I want to do this. Any one going through all of this? 

Also I am a stay at home mom of two small boys. I am worried about recovery time because I can't really take time off.     Help. 

Member Services
on 12/2/14 5:34 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Jlynnr87 

The way you are feeling is normal....breath

Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey.   ​ We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research.​​

​If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures.​  If you have Medicaid and or Medicare, contact them to verify if they cover WLS, if so, what procedures and if there are any pre-surgery qualifications you have to meet.  Ask for a list of surgeons in your area that take your insurance then we can assist you with contacting those surgeons on your behalf to get you started on your journey!  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/choice-of-bariatric-proc edure-a-philosophy-obtained-in-20-years-of-bariatric-practic e-2/  

Let us know if you need anything else.  We are here for you!  

Regards,

Member Services

Jlynnr87
on 12/2/14 6:02 am - Elbow lake , MN

Thank you. I have already contacted my insurance and found they do cover it and know the requirements for coverage now. I have also been considering either lap band or VSG and I am leaning towards VSG. I have also found a doctor in my area that performs these two surgeries. I have done almost everything except make my first appointment! I am just too nervous to do it yet!! 

Member Services
on 12/2/14 6:05 am - Irvine, CA

Sounds like you are on your way!  Here are the links to the two surgery type forums you are interested.  Also, keep a list of questions for when you do the free seminar.  

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

MsBatt
on 12/2/14 6:26 am

Keep the doctor's appointment. Talking with the doc doesn't obligate you to go ahead with surgery.

What you need to be doing right now is researching the four forms of WLS---LapBand, VSG/Sleeve, RNY/gastric bypass, and DS/duodenal switch. Once you've decided which procedure is the best fit for your health concerns, your lifestyle, and what kind of eater you are, THEN you need to choose your surgeon based on his or her experience in doing the procedure that YOU want to live with for the rest of your life.

This is not a decision to make lightly, and there's no reason to rush into anything. Think twice, cut once. (I suggest you also visit the Revision board.) Most people can lose a LOT of weight with any form of WLS. The hard part is keeping it off long-term, and that's why it's so important to choose a surgery type that works well with the way YOU can be happy eating forever. WLS is like a diet in that it only works as long as you stick to the rules.

While it would be best if you had the support and understanding of your fiance, ultimately this is YOUR decision. You are the only person who will live with the consequences of this decision every day for the rest of your life.

I keep saying "for the rest of your life" because that's the reality. Don't be fooled by the idea that the LapBand is reversible---it's not. It's REMOVABLE, but the effects it has on your body will most likely be with your forever. The VSG isn't reversible---once 90% of your stomach is removed from your body, it's GONE. (Not that this is a bad thing!) The RNY can be reversed, but that's only done in life-threatening cir****tances. More commonly it's revised to a more aggressive surgery, the DS. The DS is partially reversible---it has the same stomach as the Sleeve, so that part's permanent. The intestinal bypass part can be reversed, but like the RNY, that's very, very rarely done, and only in extreme situations.

In a few days I'll be 11 years post-op from my DS, and I'm still "in love" with my surgery. I've had zero complications, and I'm tickled pink with the 'diet' my DS requires of me. Hopefully 11 years from now, you'll be able to say the same.

As for the two little boys---you will need some help immediately after surgery, since you shouldn't lift more than 10 pounds for the first 8 weeks.

Cathy W.
on 12/2/14 6:57 am

Go ahead and keep the doctor appointment.  The more information the better.

I had the same fear you have.  I knew that I was going to be the person that weight loss surgery didn't work for.  I was confident in that fact because I had done so many diets throughout so many years that didn't work, why would WLS be any different.  It is very different.  It isn't a "diet" but giving you a tool that will help you to change your lifestyle. 

I encourage you to check out the different types of surgery you are considering.  Each has their pros/cons so you have to be honest with yourself about your habits.  For example, I love sugary, sweet foods.  One of the benefits of the RNY is that I dump.  I can't stress enough to do your research on the surgery types so you make the decision that is best for you.  Another thing you can do is go to the message boards of the surgery types you are considering.  Make a post asking members why they chose the procedure they did and any other questions you have. 

Lastly, mom of two small boys.  When I had my surgery, I also had two small boys.  I was so embarrassed at my weight and body size that I wouldn't volunteer in their classrooms because I knew they'd be teased about me.  I couldn't keep up with them.  I knew that to be the mom that I wanted to be that I needed to have the surgery.  I wanted to live a long life to attend their graduations, weddings and spoil my grandkids.  Thanks to my WLS, I expect to be able to do that.

Jlynnr87
on 12/2/14 7:04 am - Elbow lake , MN

Thank you so much. After all the times I have thought about WLS my boys are the reason I am seriously considering it. (On top of being 27 and already having 2 knee surgeries and 2 back surgeries.) 

My boys are 2 and 6.5 months. I don't want to be the mom that sits on the couch and doesn't want to play, I want to run with them and chase them and teach them that being active is fun. And I have not been a very good example of that so far. I also fear they will pick up my bad eating habits. And I don't want then to deal with obesity ever in their lives! 

Thank you for your replies. 

dragonlove
on 12/2/14 8:04 am
RNY on 11/20/13

Just adding further perspective on what you were saying about playing with your boys... I'm a year out and now I can play on the playground and play tag with my grandkids... I used to simply walk around and watch them.  It is great!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

luxurycouture
on 12/2/14 9:41 am

Remember, you are not obligated to anything. Going to an appointment can simply be informational and you may decide that this isn't right for you just by going to the first appointment. Or it could do the exact opposite.

The other thing to consider is that getting approved for the surgery is not an overnight process, so you'll have plenty of time to weigh the options. Your insurance will most likely have requirements that take time. For me, it has taken since January just for my surgeon to submit to my insurance and I just got a surgery date of 2/25/15. I had to attend mandatory 4 WLS Seminars, do 4 months of nutritional counseling and have a psych evaluation just for my surgeon to consider even submit to insurance. i guess my point is, you will have plenty of time to make a decision and it's worth checking it out. You'll never regret checking it out. 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 12/2/14 9:34 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Most surgeons make you go to a seminar first which explains everything. You can ask any question you want. Are they having you do that first?

Most Active