pregnancy after wls

Waterme27
on 12/19/14 2:59 am

I had rny surgery March 2012 and reached my goal weight and lost 100 lbs. I felt wonderful physically and emotionally. I found out I was expecting March 2014 and delivered my beAutiful son November 27. Since I was just over a year out of surgery I was followed closely by a high risk pregnancy doctor and the dietitian and baby and I were healthy. During the pregnancy I did allow myself some extra freedom food selection wise but I stuck to portions I was comfortable with and didn't overeat - I still measured and kept within my "restriction comfort".

I wasn't too hard my myself because I figured as long as I am getting my protein requirements and other nutrition , I would " treat myself " to make the recommended caloric intake my dietitian told me to support my baby and to keep healthy. 

I didn't focus to much on the number on the scale. I carried well and didn't look pregnant until my eighth month and I didn't have to buy maternity pants.

i lost 25 lbs in the two day duration after he was born. I am out of sorts that I sm still 30 lbs over my pre- pregnancy weight.

i am very distraught over this because I don't know how it happened. I was eating probably 1600 calories a day. I tracked. This is my first and will he my only pregnancy.

i am overwhelmed right now because he doesn't sleep and I am feeling really... Down about myself  and feel like I sm a failure. I would appreciate to hear your stories about your pregnancy after wls. 

Happy holidays

Member Services
on 12/19/14 3:44 am - Irvine, CA

Hi

Don't look back unless you are headed there.  You have that beautiful baby and you can get those 30 pounds off.  Make a list of the basics you followed before when you were losing.  Add one or two at a time, make sure you write everything down that goes in your mouth, what, how much and "WHY".  You are a new Mom and it's a stressful time.  Note when you want to reach for the bad stuff what is going on?  This will help you ID those trigger moments and know how to stop them.

I am not going to tell you to move and exercise, taking care of the baby is one heck of a workout

If the option is available go back to your surgeon's office and meet with a nutritionist and attend support group meetings.  Take it one day at a time and you will do fine

Be sure and post this on our Pregnancy after Weight Loss Surgery forum.  Lots of Moms there to help.

Regards,

Kathy

Waterme27
on 12/19/14 5:32 am

Thank you very much. I have an appointment with my team in the new year.  I appreciate your positivity 

Member Services
on 12/19/14 5:49 am - Irvine, CA

We all are here for you

Ladytazz
on 12/19/14 9:39 am

Go easy on yourself.  It hasn't even been a month.  Just enjoy your baby and do the best you can with your eating.  It will come off in time.

Are you breastfeeding?  I know they say that breastfeeding burns up calories but I had the opposite experience.  As long as I was breastfeeding my babies I couldn't lose an ounce no matter what I ate.  It was like my body was hanging onto every bit of calories it could.  As soon as I stopped, and continued to eat right, the weight came off but it did take a while.  This was pre WLS when I still had somewhat of a handle on my weight.  Somewhat.

Anyway, don't waste your precious time worrying about your weight.  Your baby doesn't care and all your attention should be on him.  I speak from experience when I say it all goes by too fast and when you look back at these days you won't be remembering what you weighed, only about those precious firsts that you get to be part of.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Laura in Texas
on 12/19/14 9:38 pm

1600 calories a day is too many for many of us.

Be kind to yourself. Having a baby is a huge transition.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Waterme27
on 12/20/14 2:43 am

I was eating around 800 before becoming pregnant. I breastfeed for the first three weeks but am just formula feeding now. I will try to be easier oneself but start sefreasongy calories and exercise once I  able - should be ok in new year 

Most Active