5 days post vsg don't feel restriction

Hanab
on 12/28/14 3:44 am

Hi guys this is my first post . I had vsg surgery on 12/23 and ever since coming home the second day I've had no problem getting fluids in. I don't feel the restriction everyone talks about or how they can't get more than 1-2 oz of liquids and having a hard time. I notice that I get hungry is this normal? I'm on a full liquid diet so I basiy have protein shakes, crystal light , cerelac soup , yogurt . Yesterday I was able to eat the whole 5.3 oz cup of yogurt and I didn't feel any restrictions I felt like I could have more ? Is this normal I'm really worried and I keep thinking I will be able to eat like before and this surgery will not work for me. :( 

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 6:15 am

At this point you shouldn't be looking for a full feeling. The nerves were cut so it is vitally important that you measure your foods. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Hanab
on 12/28/14 8:51 am

I'm only on liquids now and I'm not getting down barely what is in my book I can have. I do get in about 50oz of liquids with no problems throughout the day. Today I wanted to test myself out of curiosity and I drank 2 bigger gulbs of water and I had no problem. I keep thinking to myself this isn't normal. 

kerry B.
on 12/28/14 11:41 am
VSG on 11/04/13

I know this is all new and scary but why would you want to risk this?  Be gentle with your new stomach, don't test anything.  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.  Just trust in your surgery and be careful.  You will be rewarded in the long run.  Good luck! 

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 9:08 am

As the swelling goes down you are able to get in more.  Just relax.  You are fine

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

kms21189
on 12/28/14 9:14 am - west fargo , ND
RNY on 12/09/14

I thought I was alone in this! I had rny on Dec 9th and I can eat a whole pineapple cup no problem. I too have the feeling of hunger and I can't help but think something went wrong with my surgery. 

Chilipepper
on 12/28/14 10:41 am

Have you looked at the numbers on that pineapple cup.  It's probably got a load of sugar added or not added.  Carbs trigger feelings for hunger

kms21189
on 12/28/14 11:51 am, edited 12/28/14 11:52 am - west fargo , ND
RNY on 12/09/14

Yes I have. Yesterday was the first time I've had one. I got the no sugar added and drained the juice from it. I felt hunger days after surgery and no it wasn't head hunger. The pineapple cup actually only has 5g of sugar. It's also on my approved list of foods.

SlimJohn
on 12/28/14 11:50 am

Hi Hanab,

I had my surgery 8/1/2014, had a similar situation, feeling hungry about 1 week post-op and able to drink a lot more than the guideline. unfortunately for some of us the ghrelin (the hormone that produces the hungry sensation) drop-off isn't as dramatic, but you might notice that the hunger is a significantly less than pre-op. I'm 5 months in and i feel the hunger sensation even more now but it is still very manageable and much less than pre-op hunger sensation.

Avoid pushing the new stomach is something I still have to continue to remind myself of especially when I'm out with clients or friends. 

Hanab
on 12/29/14 11:08 am

Thank u for ur message I really hope it goes away ive been really down like this surgery didnt work for me :( 

Most Active