quitting smoking prior to surgery

greekgirk1027
on 12/30/14 10:27 pm

I am wondering how long before nicotine will not show in lab workif you smoke a pack a day. 

November18
on 12/30/14 10:46 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

I don't know if it shows in lab work. I had to blow 3 carbon monoxide tests before surgery. I quit In July had my first test in September and I was fine. Apparently you always blow some carbon monoxide. Anything under a 5 passes. I blew 2's.

Bonnie

greekgirk1027
on 12/30/14 10:51 pm, edited 12/30/14 10:51 pm

I was told no nicotine can show in labs or blood work. But i have no idea how long it takes for nicotine to be gone from our body. Congrats on quitting smoking and on ur surgery. I can not wait. 

poet_kelly
on 12/31/14 1:23 am - OH

Ask your doctor how long before surgery you should quit smoking.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

November18
on 12/31/14 2:52 am
VSG on 11/18/14

I never would have quit smoking if it wasn't for wanting this surgery. I really loved smoking. I know. That sounds sick. Hopefully, I will succeed with this weight loss and then I'll be glad I rid myself of two major health risks! It's hard, but I'm trying to stay positive. 30 lbs in 6 weeks but I miss my cigs, my food, & my wine!! I'm a totally different person!

Bonnie

greekgirk1027
on 12/31/14 8:03 am

Thank you for your reply.only a smoker or exsmoker can understand or sympathise. Some feel i trying to beat the system or smoke up til the last minute, whenin actuality that is not the case in the least. Just as u said if not for this surgery i would probably never quit smoking. The reason i ask about how lomg traces of nicotine can be found is because i found out later in my classes about smoking being a deal breaker. Now while i am trying to quit i am going through a lot of emotional stress with personal issues and u slip up on quitting.i am worried the slip up will cost me. I want to quit smoking n never pick up a cigarette again. 

Chilipepper
on 1/19/15 11:25 pm
On December 31, 2014 at 4:03 PM Pacific Time, greekgirk1027 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.only a smoker or exsmoker can understand or sympathise. Some feel i trying to beat the system or smoke up til the last minute, whenin actuality that is not the case in the least. Just as u said if not for this surgery i would probably never quit smoking. The reason i ask about how lomg traces of nicotine can be found is because i found out later in my classes about smoking being a deal breaker. Now while i am trying to quit i am going through a lot of emotional stress with personal issues and u slip up on quitting.i am worried the slip up will cost me. I want to quit smoking n never pick up a cigarette again. 

You need to quit now. You are waiting until the last possible moment and you won't be succesful. It will cause issues with healing and IT WILL CAUSE COMPLICATIONS POST OP. 

We all have stressful lives. Slipping up is NOT an option or an acceptable excuse.   

I think you should reevaluate if you are ready for this. Some are not.  No surgeon will risk your life or his career because you slipped up. 

When you have Bariatric surgery you are giving up life as you know it.  It's a big step and you need to make sure you are ready. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Grim_Traveller
on 12/30/14 11:14 pm
RNY on 08/21/12
On December 31, 2014 at 6:27 AM Pacific Time, greekgirk1027 wrote:

I am wondering how long before nicotine will not show in lab workif you smoke a pack a day. 

It sounds like you want to keep smoking for as long as possible, and still pass the test. Since they won't do the surgery unless you quit, why not quit now? It is the single best thing you can do for your health.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

greekgirk1027
on 12/31/14 8:07 am

Yes it is the best for my health. I am trying so hard to quit and i will because this surgery means more to methan nasty cigarettes. Thanks for your reply 

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/30/14 11:58 pm

ask your doc? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active