The RIGHT way??? A bit of a vent.

Kate -True Brit
on 12/31/14 4:46 pm - UK

sorry, there IS no right way to eat to lose weight. Obviously I don't mean we can eat whatever we like and lose weight but I get irritated when people post that you MUST eat a certain way. I did everything wrong according to some "experts" but I managed, with only a band to help me so no malabsorption, to lose all my excess weight (110lbs) in just over 15 months. I say "wrong" but according not only to my outcome but also to my medical team, it was the correct way.

So this wouldn't work for some, maybe many, people, but I am writing down my way just to show that any plan can work for some and none is right for everyone. 

I never actually counted anything. I actually don't know how to count carbs. Every now and then, I did a check and it always came out about 1100-1200 calories a day. Please note however, that I am very aware of calorie values and so knew what to avoid. I also always chose complex over simple carbs.

i never measured anything, just made small portions. I then ate dense protein first, then crunchy veggies, carbs if room.

i did not cut out any food groups. I always had occasional treats. 

If I had counted, measured, journaled, I would have become food-obsessed. 

And exercise is good for all sorts of reasons but for simple weight loss is not essential.  I walk a lot, but did even when 280lbs, but I do no regular exercise - I should! But it didn't stop me losing weight. 

The only MUST DO is to take in fewer calories than we use. OK so some foods trigger physiological or psychological effects. But we deal with these in different ways. For example, one person has to totally cut out something or they will lose control. Another finds it easier to take a controlled amount. 

There is no one-size-fits-all. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MegZorar
on 12/31/14 7:51 pm

Thanks for this. Very refreshing.

Grim_Traveller
on 12/31/14 8:53 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Chilipepper
on 12/31/14 9:17 pm

Kate my love. I agree that worked for you and you are an example of someone who rocked maintenance. It is different though for someone who has a malabsorptive surgery. It is important that they follow a diet specific to their surgery. They need to learn about different foods and how it will effect them and the results of their surgery.  Some need to live a more structured postop life. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Kate -True Brit
on 12/31/14 11:43 pm - UK
On January 1, 2015 at 5:17 AM Pacific Time, Chilipepper wrote:

Kate my love. I agree that worked for you and you are an example of someone who rocked maintenance. It is different though for someone who has a malabsorptive surgery. It is important that they follow a diet specific to their surgery. They need to learn about different foods and how it will effect them and the results of their surgery.  Some need to live a more structured postop life. 

Oh, yes.totally agree - this is MY route.  However, without expertise, just from reading  on here, I see people talking of RNY plans ranging from 800-1200 calories a day (admittedly usually at the lower end). And the only RNY person I know IRL doesn't do low carb as many do. So even there, there is no single plan. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

nursebonnie
on 12/31/14 9:24 pm
VSG on 08/19/14

Thank you for this. I converted from band to sleeve and my success was achieved much like yours.

And you did specify you did not have a malabsorption surgery.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/31/14 10:10 pm

Fantastic post...Thank you Kate. 

We have to remember that we are very unique.. Each and every one of us. ...and what works for one person may or may not work for someone else. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Raze
on 12/31/14 10:29 pm

different for everyone imo. not that we are all so unique we all need personalized plans but some lose weight and maintain differently than others. it can be a very individual thing. "keeping it off" is still most important imo. for myself the amount eaten is still the main thing. its what got me to wls in the first place. i ate too much. however many of us gained weight differently, too. so we lose it differently

in the end for me "the proof is in the pudding." if the weight is gone, its gone. we've lost it. along the way imo is the opportunity to learn what it takes to lose and maintain it for ourselves. i don't like feeling food obsessed myself. being somewhat obsessed with food and weight is something that got me to wls in the first place speaking for myself. so these days i just don't think about food or weight and eat. so far, so good

jaxie77
on 12/31/14 10:36 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

I had RNY ( 2 weeks ago ) , and although I am being / kind of have to be , strict about what I'm eating and how much of each thing , counting protien and so on , at the moment , I do hope to eventually be able to just get to a point where I can just sensibly eat without weighing and measuring . This may be naive of me , according to some , but I hope that I don't have to live the rest of my life measuring out pieces of meat and fish on a scale for every meal . 

I feel like I am fairly educated in nutrition after several years of dieting and especially 2 years of researching  WLS . But when I was young ,my parents , who were never educated or smart about food choices , and still aren't,  almost set me up for obesity(not blaming them by any means ) . A whole childhood and teenage years of bad eating habits, along with my ferocious appetite and love of cooking , got me to the weight I am today and ultimately got me on this never ending circle of inevitable weight gain and loss . The surgery , for me,is a Reset button . Where I can start from scratch using the information I have gathered on my own, with the backup of my tool behind me ,to get me to a point where I just habitually eat well . Again , this may be naive of me .....maybe I do have deep set issues that will cause me to gain again , if I don't weigh and measure every little thing I put in my mouth . But I sincerely hope not and I hope and I can get to the point where you are now , maintaining your ( awesome) weight loss,while just eating well and living your life . 

Jax x

White Dove
on 1/1/15 12:19 am - Warren, OH

I have gone through all of the "magic weight loss tricks".  I have counted protein, calories, carbs, fat, fiber and exercise minutes.  In the end the only thing that truly works for me is my scale.  I get on it every morning and honestly face what I have done the day before. 

If it is up then I know that adjustments must be made. 

I plan for weight loss and set goals and dates when those goals will be achieved.  The only times in my life that I have had weight gains have been when I put the scale away and tried to do it without weighing.  To lose weight I go back to counting calories, fat, protein, fiber, carbs and exercise very diligently. 

When the scale is at goal, I am easier on myself.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active