Passing Gas

dancerchick06
on 1/10/15 12:45 am
RNY on 01/07/15

Hi,

I was hoping if anyone could answer this it would be y'all. The nurses and doctor wanted me to be passing more gas but I can't seem to do it. I am burping and hiccuping (not constant) more than passing gas and it is super painful.

My question is, has anyone else gotten that CO2 out by burping rather than passing gas?

Thanks,

Sarah

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/15 3:51 am - Medford, NJ

Hello Sarah,

I hope that you are feeling better!

The CO2 gas is intraabdominal and is not inside your stomach and bowel.   Usually this discomfort will leave you in 24 hours, and you can expedite this relief with walking.

Should you experience cramping, with or without nausea, you may be developing a post-op ileus.  This is simply a slowdown of your normal bowel activity and is common after abdominal surgery. An "ileus" may also be secondary to the narcotic pain medication.  This will get better with time and a reduction in your narcotic pain meds.  Passing gas rectally is a good sign that normal bowel activity is returning.

Best of Health to you!

Donna 

Board Certified Physician Assistant

dancerchick06
on 1/10/15 8:29 am
RNY on 01/07/15

THANK YOU!!! That makes a lot more sense.

Sarah

Deana_
on 1/10/15 4:49 am

Keep walking and it will come out 

Valerie G.
on 1/10/15 11:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

They want to make sure your intestines are working as expected.  I couldn't go home until I pooped.  My doc wanted to be absolutely sure.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active