My 600 pound life - Penny update tonite.

Zee Starrlite
on 1/22/15 8:20 pm

When one eats a low caloried healthy diet is it possible at all to lose weight with lymphedema and lipedema?

Blessed Sarah 😘

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Sarahlicious
on 1/23/15 4:08 am - Portsmouth, OH

Lymphedema is excess lymph fluid, it can be reduced through compression but then will need lifetime management, usually wearing compression garments to keep the fluid from accumulating again.

Lipedema is excess adipose tissue, lipedemic tissue cannot be reduced by calorie restriction or exercise....now with that said, there is no way to distinguish  between lipedema tissue and normal fat. There are stages to lipedema, many stage 1 and stage 2 patients do not have BMI that fall in the category of obese, however the excess is noticeable in the hips/butt/thighes, bottom have is much larger than upper body. There are actually cases of women who are underweight than have lipedema, it's more of where the fat accumulates. 

It's possible to lose weight, might not ever make it to a normal weight, probably always have larger hips and thighes and lipedema is progressive so need to prevent or slow the progression. And be realistic. Healthy diet and exercise are good for everyone's health...might not result in weight loss but judge healthy by other factors not the scale.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Zee Starrlite
on 1/23/15 4:28 am

Wow, I wish there were some type of cure rather than therapies (I am positive years back I watched that the whole compression "thing" can be a painful process and why some people abandon the process).

Our bodies do such weird uncontrollable things sometimes  even when we try.  I have an autoimmune dis-ease that try as I might, sometimes it gets the best of me - then we rise again!

I think there is something mentally wrong with both Penny and her husband.  The innocent child I feel sorry for.

Best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Sarahlicious
on 1/23/15 5:27 am - Portsmouth, OH

Yes, compression wrapping in order to be beneficial needs to be nearly 24/7 I would got to therapy 3 days a week keeping the wraps on in between. Sometimes they slid or got too tight and I would remove them. It's hard walk or be mobile with legs wrapped. Insurance can give issues in approving enough sessions. A compression pump you must allot hours a day to just laying in bed...although hey that can be a good excuse to be in bed!!!...sleeping with pump isn't really an option because 1. it can hurt 2. it's loud 3. not good to have legs tethered to a machine in case of emergency during the night. Patient compliance can be low, which then in turn makes insurance not want to cover needed therapies. Difficult cycle...and I've found many fellow chronic illness patients who can relate to that frustration of managing overall health, even with different illnesses.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

David F.
on 1/22/15 10:21 am - Henderson, NV

I watch this show and I was so mad to see she is wasting her life. She was able to have the surgery while there are so many wishing they could so they can better their lives. She just sits there doesn't do anything to help herself. If she really loved her son she would do whatever it takes to get healthy. I know some people say it is her husbands fault but I feel it is shared. Yes he could just not bring her food and cook healthy stuff but come on, she is going to find it somehow. Just a waste of a surgical treatment that would have benefited someone else, I hope she opens her eyes soon before she is dead.

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

Poodlemac
on 1/23/15 9:20 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I agree. It is Penny's fault and no one else's. She sends numb nuts to the store with a list and he fill it. I guess he doesn't want to argue with her. You can't make someone do something they don't want to, but if the food isn't there, she can't eat it. Sadly for that little boy, I don't see this having a positive outcome. Probably just a matter of time. 

Y D.
on 1/24/15 2:09 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I haven't seen the update yet, but I found all of season 2 on Hulu and saw Penny's episode. She really lives in delusion. She doesn't want to change. Very sad for her son.

NolaLola
on 1/26/15 11:56 pm

Thanks for saying it is on Hulu. I have been wanting to watch this show for a while but we don't have cable.

RNY 8-19-14 HW-356 CW 308

Grim_Traveller
on 1/24/15 1:03 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

My favorite part was when they dressed up to trick-or-treat. Penny and the kid were cops, and numbnuts husband was a prisoner. Perfect.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

The Salty Hag
on 1/25/15 9:47 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

I about died when I saw that. Perfect indeed! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Most Active