better habits now or food funerals?

TheBee
on 3/6/15 12:07 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

My surgery is in 6 weeks, the dr is only requiring a one week, all liquid diet prior to surgery.  I'm curious, have most folks used that pre-op period to start working on better habits or having food funerals for all the things they'll never have again?

Chilipepper
on 3/6/15 12:14 pm

Going into this mourning food will set you up for failure. There is nothing you won't be able to eat later. You will have to learn to factor in the numbers. Some people pack on 10 lbs trying to eat all the things they assume they won't ever get to eat again. It's simply not true. 

Use this time to change your mindset. Start reading labels. Get to know and understand what you are eating 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

DeborahMc
on 3/7/15 12:46 pm

Oh my gosh...this was so me!! And this is all so helpful! I'm 5 days into my 2 week all liquid diet. It's fairly miserable but I'm doing it. Why are pre-op directions so different from doctor to doctor?

...I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world

TheBee
on 3/7/15 10:42 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

Are you actually hungry, why you're so miserable?

DeborahMc
on 3/8/15 7:41 am

There's only so many options with this diet. Protein shakes, sugar free jello and yogurt. Broth...

...I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/8/15 4:32 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I think some of it has to do with just how the surgeon maneuvers around inside your abdominal cavity. Some do the pre-op diet to shrink the liver, maybe because it could get in the way with how they navigate. Whereas it's less of a concern for other surgeons and there's less worry about it.

I didn't have to do a liquid diet, just no food after 10 the night before. My sympathies!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TheBee
on 3/7/15 11:14 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

I didn't mean to imply I was mourning food, there are just some things we know will never cross our lips again, hence the "funeral" analogy. I'm definitely working on the "mind" part!

DeborahMc
on 3/8/15 7:43 am

You and me both :)

Valerie G.
on 3/6/15 1:13 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I had no preop diet and had a few funerals, myself

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

TheBee
on 3/7/15 10:42 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

Thanks for taking the time to comment Valerie!

Most Active