Failed Stress Test, Heart Cath Scheduled

recordsmom
on 3/18/15 11:45 pm
RNY on 04/28/15

I am really disappointed and surprised!  Went to see the cardiologist yesterday for the results of my stress test (required by surgeon for cardiac clearance for surgery) and found out that they don't like the look of my heart under stress.  So now everything is on hold pending a heart catheterization (sp?) and possible need for a stent.  I haven't had any outward symptoms of a blockage or heart problems. I totally expected this to be a breeze!

Has anyone gone through this and had to have a stent before wls?  If you have, how long did it delay your surgery?  

I'm really in a funk because this was the very last thing I had to get done before scheduling my surgery.  Everything else, including insurance approval has been done. :(

huskergalWsD
on 3/19/15 1:39 am

Oh my heart goes out to you. Thank god you had this done before surgery. I had flat lined just after a breast biopsy in 2002 , found out I had blocked arteries so blocked it stopped my heart. I didn't have a heart stress test done before my breast biopsy. I am ok now.I did not have a stent put in just before wls , I did have a greenfield filter put in just minutes before wls. I would bring this up to your doctor before you get wls. He may not think about it for you. Google 'greenfield filter'. It did take me 2 years after my open heart surgery to get cleared. PLease be patient, it is for your safety. I was impatient too. Glad they wanted me to wait. My wls was a breeze compared to my other surgeries. Had to chuckle you saying 'Funk" haven't heard that word here.

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

recordsmom
on 3/19/15 3:22 am
RNY on 04/28/15

Thanks so much for the encouragement!  I am glad that any potential problems are being found now and not after it causes a bigger problem.  *sigh*  I'll be patient.

Kathy S.
on 3/19/15 5:09 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

We are so sorry to hear all you are going through. Sometimes good comes out of bad.  Who knows what may have happen down the road if this did not come to light.  My husband fell during Christmas this year and we found out his heart function was at 12% and we didn't even know it. If he had not fell the doctors said he most likely would have died from a heart attack....

Keep us posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Ready2goNOW
on 3/19/15 6:39 am

Hi!

I am also pre-op going thru the various pre-op hoops! I am actually glad to have to be tested so thoroughly as I know I have put my body thru the mill over the years. I am lucky I have not done more damage than I am already aware of.

I have a-fib...an electrical misfiring of the heart. they found this prior to my hysterectomy in 2012. My heart races, slows down, flips flops and often feels like it is rolling around in there...lol! It is a treatable condition, but I would not want to go under the knife with an undiagnosed heart condition.

Be grateful they found this PRIOR to surgery and will be taken care of. We have the rest of our lives to enjoy our weight-loss success, but few opportunities to be examined so closely for potentially life-threatening health problems.

Best of luck as you continue your journey. Keep us posted!

Kathy

recordsmom
on 3/20/15 1:23 pm
RNY on 04/28/15

Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I just got home from having the heart catheterization today. Everything was normal, no blockages!! Thank goodness! Now to set a surgery date and begin the next chapter in my life! :)

Most Active