Thrift store madness

cspotrun
on 4/7/15 9:12 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Agreed. I have donated all my old clothing. I think I heard about a similar Goodwill outlet near me in PA. I think they charge by weight. Thanks for the reminder to check it out. That is sad about prices going up because of the increase in demand. Personally I wish those in shelters or without any income could get the clothes for free. I definitely don't want to take away their resources. 

Karen   

Maronita
on 4/8/15 3:29 am

Yes, the homeless do get their clothing for free but they can only get them if their size is donated.  In Boston there is a homeless guy who must wear a long skirt because the shelter at the time did not have his size.  Fortunately the shelter's in Boston made arrangements with Goodwill to supply needed clothes to the homeless.  The shelter gives a list of what the homeless need and once a week they bring the needed clothes/sizes.  Some of the clothese that I have gotten at the Goodwill Outlet for $1.75 were brand new with tags from the manufacturer still on them.

Maronita

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/7/15 10:21 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I am amazed you have a 13 year old daughter who does not care about brands. That is awesome she doesn't buy into that consumer crap. Good job mom.

cspotrun
on 4/7/15 11:07 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Thanks! In not sure I can take credit but I appreciate it. She is the lowest maintenance human being I know. She hates shopping and will just wear whatever I buy her, as long as they are jeans and t-shirts.  She actually prefers when I don't buy her things. She would rather we save the money and see Broadway shows.   I think the trick is her group of friends. She is a band and drama geek. Those kids are awesome and not into all the cool stuff. 

Karen   

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/7/15 11:14 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Yeah the band and drama geeks usually beat to their own drums. My sister in law is 15 and is one. She dresses nicely but does not need expensive things except for her ugg boots. My niece on the other hand who is now 21 wanted all that expensive stuff around 12. Her mom told her get a job and pay for half of it or deal with Wal-Mart. She has worked ever since.

cspotrun
on 4/7/15 11:42 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Now that's a great mom!

Karen   

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/7/15 11:44 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Ehh she screwed her up in other ways. lol I do agree that part was great though.

cspotrun
on 4/8/15 3:38 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Karen   

familyof6
on 4/8/15 12:19 am, edited 4/8/15 12:47 am

How funny , I could have written your post :) I started"thrifting" due to this WLS journey and am completely addicted....I can't believe how much money I wasted on clothes before !! I have gotten perfect capri's for $2.99, cute sandals for $5 :)))   My 16 year old daughter loves thrifting with me, she loves that nobody else will have these items...and she is a total musical theater lover :))) And when I get smaller, I have my eyes set on the rows of cute skirts and dresses :)))

cspotrun
on 4/8/15 3:39 am
RNY on 07/01/14

That's fantastic!  I wonder how much money I have wasted over the years.  I shudder to think of it.  So great you can share this with your daughter!

Karen   

Most Active