Thrift store madness

abrannume
on 4/10/15 5:49 am - willingboro, NJ
RNY on 04/04/12

Hey! I go to the Village Thrift in Pennsauken too.  Check it out on a Sunday, that's when they put new stuff out.  Love that place.    I haven't tried Red White and Blue yet, but i will.  Somebody also told me about Plato's Closet across from the Moorestown Mall, but i think their prices may be a bit higher than regular thrift store prices.

cspotrun
on 4/10/15 6:26 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Thanks for the tip about Sundays!

Red White and Blue does not have a dressing room and they only take Cash so keep that in mind. It's smaller than Village but I liked their selection. They also don't break it down by size quite as well. They had far more coats and jackets though. I got an Ann Klein dressy rain coat for $10 and a Gap denim jacket for $5. Those were easy to try on in the aisle!

i have been to Platos Closet and that is also excellent but different. It has less of a thrift store feel and you're right that it is more expensive. But great brands and good quality. 

Karen   

Han Shot First
on 4/11/15 2:28 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I love shopping at thrift stores.  I never did before surgery, but there's no way I was going to pay retail for clothes that I was only going to wear for a couple of months at most.  I've gotten some really good, name-brand clothing.  I hit all the ones in this area about once a month or so, and yesterday we drove down to the "rich" area to check out their Goodwill.  I got 8 pairs of pants in names like Ralph Lauren Polo, Tommy Hilfiger, Levi's, and others for less than $50.  My wife found a brand new pair of pants (I forget the brand) with the tags still on them.  Retail price was $59, she got them for $6.  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

cspotrun
on 4/11/15 4:02 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I was reading about the Goodwill in my area and it seems that everything is piled into bins all together and not separated.  Is this the same at your Goodwill?  Also, there are no dressing rooms and there is stiff competition from what I read LOL.

Karen   

Han Shot First
on 4/12/15 9:01 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

Our Goodwills are pretty good.  Everything is separated by size, and hanging on racks, so it's easy to shop.  They all have dressing rooms, also.  Compared to Salvation Army and Volunteers of America, and the higher prices at consignment shops, I like Goodwill the best.  Interesting how they differ so much by location.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

MyLady Heidi
on 4/13/15 9:02 pm, edited 4/13/15 9:02 pm

I don't want to ruin your thrifting experience but be careful where you go, many thrift stores are the cause of bringing bed bugs into your home, that $1.75 shirt isn't gonna feel so great when you spend thousands to lose the bugs.  Keep everything in bags tightly sealed unti it can be washed, obviously as hot of water as possible and I would avoid anything that cannot be washed, shoes, purses etc.  I still shop consignment where things are carefully checked but not nearly as much after hearing the bed bug horror stories.

cspotrun
on 4/13/15 9:32 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I had thought of that and yea washing is a must!

Karen   

Most Active