Weight loss stopped with 20 more pounds to lose...people acting like I failed

Jen Lyn
on 4/15/15 9:56 am
RNY on 11/11/13

Since my surgery, I  broke my foot, wa**** by a oiltruck while driving in my little car hurting my back, and broke my foot again.  I have NEVER gained even one pound.  Yes, I have 20 more to lose but I refuse to give up.  I changed my life, my diet, and my attitudes.  It really annoys me when people ask "Are you done losing already" as if I failed. My health is 100% better with only allergies remaining.  Thanks for listening.

csmith74
on 4/15/15 10:07 am

Please don't feel like you're a failure--you have had something bad happen to you and yet you continue to fight for your life and health! Never worry about what other people may think or say because until they have stepped into your shoes, they have no idea what you have lived and or fought to get to where you are today! Keep up the awesome work!!!!

MickeyDee
on 4/15/15 10:11 am

Don't pay any attention to the wind they are emitting;  just let it go by.  If someone says something like that you might say "I'm an ongoing project!" and let it go with a smile.

You've had enough on your plate to make any other person go running down the road with their shirt tail out--just get well!

Eggface
on 4/15/15 11:01 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Hope you are healing well from your injuries. Sounds like they need a little schooling about post wls life... there is no finish-line. The day after your goal weight # flashes on the scale it's just more of the same... healthy eating choices, moving the body, working on the emotional/head stuff... forever and ever amen.

Quick answer I'd give... "It's not about a number on the scale or a pant size it is and always has been about my health and that is AWESOME ;)" 

Then TWIRL! (kidding, maybe)

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Tracy D.
on 4/16/15 2:40 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

NYMom222
on 4/15/15 11:05 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I agree with having a response line you have come up with. I have a few for when people make stupid comments. Aren't most of the stupid comments the same anyway? Sounds like you have done awesome. Not gaining a pound after all that? yeah, AWESOME!!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Bette B.
on 4/15/15 1:21 pm

My first thought was, Oh, eff them."

My second thought is - how do YOU feel? Would you be perfectly happy if your weight loss ended right where it is? Be honest. If your answer is "yes", then don't let them "rent space in your head", as the saying goes.

Be happy, move along and give them one of the most endearing "f you" phrases I hear shared on OH: "Bless your heart."

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

jastypes
on 4/16/15 2:32 am - Croydon, PA

When people asked me if I was losing, I'd say, "I have no idea."  I had no idea what my body was going to do after surgery!!!  Took me a while, but I finally got comfortable with where I ended up.  Now I tell people in our WLS support group, "If you eat what you are supposed to eat, you will weigh what you are supposed to weigh."  This journey is about so much more than numbers.  I also encourage people to look at their total weight lost, not how far they have to go, or what they re-gained.  Saying out loud, "I've lost 140 pounds," gives you a whole different perspective from saying, "I still have 20 pounds to lose," or "I lost 160, but re-gained 20."  Who cares!!!  Your health is 100% better.  Go live your life!!!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/16/15 2:47 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'd tell them oh when I'm done losing you'll be the first to know, seeing how much you've helped me to lose weight in the first place. Thanks, & oh by the way my foot still hurts like a SOB, thanks for asking about that.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

jastypes
on 4/16/15 3:36 am - Croydon, PA

One of those times I wish there was a "like" button here.  :-)

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active