Lactose intolerance issues....greek yogurt alternative???

Sandie E.
on 4/30/15 4:25 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Hello all....I am almost 1 yr out of bypass and initially could not have any milk products other than cheese, yogurt, and my shakes because they would make me sick.  I began to eat some other things and have noticed the nausea and gassy and pain coming back almost immediately after even yogurt.  I use soy milk with my protein powder but have been eating my light greek yogurt religiously every day and am thinking I may need to see if I can find an alternative now :(  I depend on this to get in some of my protein so I am wondering if there are alternatives that will still provide that for my breakfast but not be causing tummy issues.

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

rocky513
on 4/30/15 5:33 am - WI

Are you sure it's the yogurt causing the problem?  Usually folks that are lactose intolerant can eat Greek yogurt and cheese.  It could be sugar alcohols in the no sugar added yogurt.  Many people have gastric upset from sugar substitutes.  Maybe try a plain yogurt and sweeten it yourself with some stevia and add a few sliced strawberries.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Sandie E.
on 4/30/15 5:53 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

I was wondering about that but it happens with basically everything other than cheese. I will look at some other alternatives and see if I can figure out the yogurt. No sugar added ice cream does it too. When I have some lol

kathkeb
on 4/30/15 8:22 am

The 'no sugar added' stuff probably has sugar alcohols in it (ingredients ending with 'itol' -- like sorbitol or maltitol)

Those can be harder on our digestive tract than sugar ---- it might not be the lactose, it could be these.

Good luck!

Kath

Sandie E.
on 4/30/15 9:53 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Thank you!  I am wondering now if it is the alternative sugars maybe....do you know of any that are easier or better digesting than others?

rocky513
on 4/30/15 10:06 am - WI

Avoid anything that ends in 'tol.  Stevia is a natural sweetener that usually doesn't cause gastric distress.  A lot of people use Splenda with no problems.  I have had issues with Splenda if I over indulge.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Valerie G.
on 5/2/15 7:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Are you using whey protein by any chance?  Im one of those who ha selective intolerance.  I cannot drink milk or whey protein products but cheese and most other dairy is fine.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active