Was told that VSG'ers gain there weight back?? Vsg vsDs

NikkyBeauty
on 5/9/15 3:44 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

So I went with my surgery buddy who had DS  to her 9 month appointment for support and she meet with the bariatric coordinator not her surgeon and she asked about regain, the lady told her she didn't have to worry about regain for 5 yrs and the only people who gain weight back after a year are people who had Vsg. Of course I was sitting there and I said "are you sure" long story short she goes into how purely restrictive procedures don't last blah blah blah...

My surgery buddy is really concerned about regain because she eats carbs,sweets basically eats like she hasn't had surgery but she is still losing our goal of getting together is to encourage each other we have gym days and dinner days we text and talk send each other recipes etc.. She's now convinced that she has 5yrs before she will regain. 

Now I know that people who have RNY and DS malabsorb calories so that helps with with losing and losing long term. But are us Vsg more likely to regain opposed to RNY and DS? 

I personally choose Vsg because I had major portion control problem! I'm not big on sweets I could care less I walk past cakes cookies all the time even before surgery I'm a lover of carbs bread,pasta and rice and I haven't had any since surgery I feel like the surgery has me under control and now and I can lose weight! 

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

TanyaRN
on 5/9/15 4:12 pm - Palm Bay, FL

Regardless of surgery type, anyone can eventually out eat their tool if you blatantly disregard the rules

Ready2goNOW
on 5/9/15 5:37 pm

I am still pre-op, but I really think it has more to do with the PERSON....not the surgery.

That being said, I have heard the lap band...not the sleeve has the most potential for problems like regain. So another issue with information out there is everyone seems to have their own opinions. I would prefer to see a scientific research project dedicated to outcomes, but then again I think that since food addiction is such a complex issue it would be difficult to 'blame' the outcomes on the procedure and not the person.

My 2 cents!

Kathy

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/9/15 5:41 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Go look in the RNY board.  There's always at least two posts about regain -- many more than five years out. That nut is an idiot

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

hollykim
on 5/9/15 8:35 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 9, 2015 at 3:44 PM Pacific Time, NikkyBeauty wrote:

So I went with my surgery buddy who had DS  to her 9 month appointment for support and she meet with the bariatric coordinator not her surgeon and she asked about regain, the lady told her she didn't have to worry about regain for 5 yrs and the only people who gain weight back after a year are people who had Vsg. Of course I was sitting there and I said "are you sure" long story short she goes into how purely restrictive procedures don't last blah blah blah...

My surgery buddy is really concerned about regain because she eats carbs,sweets basically eats like she hasn't had surgery but she is still losing our goal of getting together is to encourage each other we have gym days and dinner days we text and talk send each other recipes etc.. She's now convinced that she has 5yrs before she will regain. 

Now I know that people who have RNY and DS malabsorb calories so that helps with with losing and losing long term. But are us Vsg more likely to regain opposed to RNY and DS? 

I personally choose Vsg because I had major portion control problem! I'm not big on sweets I could care less I walk past cakes cookies all the time even before surgery I'm a lover of carbs bread,pasta and rice and I haven't had any since surgery I feel like the surgery has me under control and now and I can lose weight! 

that NUT doesn't know what she is talking about. Anyone can gain of they eat the wrong foods.namely bread,pasta etc. 

i HAVE a DS and even now at nearly two months out I will not lose if I eat anything carby. Carbs are absorbed at 100% while protein and fat is Malabsorbed. 

I seriously don't think your friend has 5 years before she has to worry about regain. She certainly has NO time before she eats herself into not losing. Then she willbe whining that the surgery didn't work and there is nothing for her to revise to. 

That NUT is doing her a HUGE disservice making her think she has 5 years to eat what ever she wants instead of encouraging her to Learn new eating habits and patterns. 

Grim_Traveller
on 5/9/15 8:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

In addition to what the others said, that Bariatric Coordinator is an idiot if they thing the VSG is a purely restrictive procedure.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 5/10/15 5:28 am
RNY on 07/23/14

??? Please explain... I thought it was only a restrictive procedure.  I do know it effects hunger hormone if that is what you mean. just wondering. Thanks...j

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Grim_Traveller
on 5/10/15 6:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It is a metabolic surgery as much as RNY is. There are lots of metabolic and endocrine changes, most of which they don't fully understand.

There is the reduction of hunger hormone, which everyone talks about. Insulin production and sensitivity changes from a whole bunch of other hormones. VSG can resolve diabetes almost as often as RNY. That happens almost overnight, and not because of restriction. Anyone get really cold immediately after surgery? More hormones.

The list is pretty long. My guess is someday they'll be able to flip those switches without cutting us open, but for now the surgery does it for us.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

White Dove
on 5/10/15 7:00 am - Warren, OH

I agree with five years, but not as your friend understood it.  In five years she might experience 100% regain if she does not learn to eat the right amounts and types of food to maintain her loss.  The same is true with lapband, VSG and RNY.  

Weight loss surgery gives you the opportunity to get the weight off and start over fresh on a level playing field with those who have never been obese.

But the person then has to eat and exercise like a person who does not have the disease of obesity.  If they go back to eating and living as an obese person, then their excess weight will come back.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 5/10/15 5:00 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your friend will have about a year that she will lose no matter what.  She can , regain some in year 2, and so on.

Statistically the DS does have the lowest rate of regain, but the common expectation of the DSers is about 15-25% regain of ewl.  I'm 9 yrs out and at 14%, so I feel okay about that.  Your friend, though, is not maximizing this honeymoon period.  

As for whether or not you'll (or any other VSG patient) regain, its up to you.  There are many who have gotten revisions due to lackluster results or significant regain.  I believe much has to do with them really not selecting the surgery suited to them.  It's something you need to analyze yourself by your weight history, diet reactions, etc.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active