Finishing up day 2 of 5DPT

rocky513
on 5/27/15 9:37 am, edited 5/27/15 9:39 am - WI

Nobody mocked you.  Nobody assumed you were an idiot or treated you like you were a newbie.  Nobody called you names or criticized you. Go back and read it again.  People gave you their opinion of the 5dtp based on their own experience. You posted on a public forum and got honest opinions from people who CARE about you.  

You did not go into any detail in your original post.  The 5dpt  claims to "re-set and shrink your pouch".  It's not true.  If you choose to follow it, that's your business, but I personally think that any fad diet is a mistake.  We obese people need to change our relationship with food permanently.   The "gain and lose roller coaster" that is dieting is not where I want to be.   I will always sound the caution bell to someone who is headed back in that direction.  I simply pointed out that you don't have to follow a "diet" to de-carb.   I've seen a lot of 5dpt posts in the many years I've been on this site.  They are usually from desperate people trying to lose a re-gain.  The answer to re-gain is to follow the WLS rules that we were all given, not another "diet". 

I'm sorry if you took offense to what I said,  It was never my intention to offend.  We all want you to succeed.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Kate -True Brit
on 5/28/15 4:53 am - UK

It is support!  If we all said what a good idea, how sensible - that would not be support! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Mrsdean4
on 5/28/15 6:27 am - VA

Go back and read the OP.  Where did I ask if you thought it was a good idea?

Kate -True Brit
on 5/28/15 12:13 am, edited 5/28/15 12:13 am - UK

Nowhere! I know!  But if my friend came to me and said life was great and she was sending all her money to a woman who had emailed from Nigeria, should I say, good idea? Not quite that dramatic, I accept. Fad diets rarely actually do harm. So I suppose it wouldn't have mattered if we had all ignored your post. 

But truly, people do want to help.  Probably most of the people *****plied to you have been on the receiving end of this sort of support. The key is - read, then either ignore or act on it! In my long time on here, I have been given advice I liked and advice I disliked! Fine!  I take what suits me. But I do believe people mean to help. 

Edtied for typo 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Grim_Traveller
on 5/27/15 2:24 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Lots and lots of people do the 5 Day Pouch Test, and swear it helps them. They almost always post things like "This is so much easier than the last 2 times I did the 5DPT," or, "I lost 12 pounds the last time I did the 5DPT, but put it back on afterward."

What works is finding a plan you can stick to long term. That's what people are trying to help you with. I'm sure I could eat absolutely nothing for 5 days, but it won't shrink or reset anything.

I want you to be successful, and I would be very, very happy to hear your long-term plan for success, not just your 5 day plan.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Mrsdean4
on 5/27/15 2:32 pm - VA

Thank you, that's very nice of you to say.  My plan is to get used to eating dense proteins FIRST, hitting a minimum of 70 grams of protein daily, building up continuously on my water intake (I have some kidney issues, so this part is a challenge...hence why the two days of liquids was helpful, imo) and I have to be ever vigilant against the carbs.   My exercise is limited to low impact things at the moment thanks to a knee injury, but thankfully walking works!  

drea29
on 5/27/15 3:28 pm

I had VSG.  I did the 5DPT.   I thought it would help calm the obsession that had returned from eating carbs.  It did and I lost 10pounds.  I then returned to my original food plan. I did try and go back to basics and was struggling.  so it was a short term solution to a long term problem.  I found it restrictive and fed into the other part of my crazy disordered eating which is to over restrict.  I did 2 days liquids and then protein for 3 days.  I did not eat as much protein as they say you can.  I immediately felt greater restriction.  I got what I wanted out of it.  I will not do it again.  I will be 3 years out in a few weeks and had a 15 pound regain over the winter months.  I was able to go back to basics and take more gentle approach to losing the regain.  I have lost 8 pounds and continue to work on the rest.  The reason I would not do it again is it feeds into the diet mentality which I am just so tired of.  I am feeling very comfortable with my current plan and while losing slowly am still going in the right direction.  I think most of the responses were from a place of support even if it did not feel that way.  This is a life long commitment to wellness and some feel that perhaps "gimmicks" will not help with log term success.  So you are 2 days out and I hope you are beginning to detox from carbs.  I wouldn't do a 3rd day, because you have to begin to get used to eating within limits that will contribute to your success.  Wishing you the best.  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/27/15 6:12 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I've never done a pouch test, I heard it's mostly a fad diet. Besides liquids for 5 days? Hell no, I've had enough of the liquid diet pre op & the 2 weeks post op. I couldn't wait to use my teeth again!

If you're trying to get your head back into the game, the pouch test will really disappoint you. Why not just go back to the basics of putting protein first & making sure you track all of what you're eating into an app like My fitness pal? It could be some bad habits have crept back in & you're eating more than you think. 

The pouch test thing is very extreme & not something you want to do every time your weight creeps back up again. All liquids totally suck!, at least for me anyway.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Mrsdean4
on 5/27/15 6:22 pm - VA
On May 27, 2015 at 6:12 PM Pacific Time, 1lasttime wrote:

I've never done a pouch test, I heard it's mostly a fad diet. Besides liquids for 5 days? Hell no, I've had enough of the liquid diet pre op & the 2 weeks post op. I couldn't wait to use my teeth again!

If you're trying to get your head back into the game, the pouch test will really disappoint you. Why not just go back to the basics of putting protein first & making sure you track all of what you're eating into an app like My fitness pal? It could be some bad habits have crept back in & you're eating more than you think. 

The pouch test thing is very extreme & not something you want to do every time your weight creeps back up again. All liquids totally suck!, at least for me anyway.

I appreciate your advice, but I really think many people are reacting to what they THINK the 5DPT is about, rather than having actually looked it up.  It isn't 5 days of just liquids.  It's a way to break the cycle of bad eating that is working for me.  2 days of high protiein, low carb liquids, followed by three days of progressively dense proteins.  It stresses getting all your protein first at each meal.  It stresses eating slowly.  It stresses waiting to drink for at least 30 minutes after eating, then sip sip sipping water the rest of the time.  I honestly don't see that as a "fad."  It sounds a lot like what most VSG patients were told to do post surgery.  I think of it as a hard reset.  I needed it.  Will it fix all my problems?  Nope, but neither will weight loss. It's helping at the moment.  If it's not for you, that's fine.  

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/27/15 7:44 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

So is this some modified version of the stages you would go thru after surgery? The liquids first, then puréed foods, then soft foods, then regular foods?

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active