Hi all! = Question about sleep.

elliebean78
on 7/14/15 2:40 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 02/19/15

Hi friends. I was sleeved on 2/19 of this year, and have been doing fantastic. I recently got a job where I work 12 hour shifts at a time, and switch frequently between day and overnight shift. I'm having a really hard time staying awake, having any energy, getting much sleep. It's disrupting my gym time, and I'm snacking all of the time since my body has been thrown off. 

Has anyone dealt with anything like this? Are you taking any supplements/medications or do you have any advice? 

Thanks so much! 

tatirod
on 7/14/15 2:57 pm - Toronto, Canada

It sounds like Sleep Shift Disorder, very common when switching to midnight shifts. There are supplements that can help (melatonin) and prescription medicines. A visit to the doctor is probably a good idea because they can suggest things that won't interfere with other medicine/supplements you may be on.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

elliebean78
on 7/14/15 2:59 pm - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 02/19/15

Awesome, thank you. I lost insurance for now, and I've been waiting 5 months so far to get to a doctor. I may have to suck it up and pay cash, however I hear that the medication specifically for this can be super costly with no insurance. :( BOOOO

tatirod
on 7/14/15 3:21 pm - Toronto, Canada

I take 5mg melatonin. I found a sublingual form and that is the one I use because it is absorbed quickly. I can control my sleep a bit better that way. If that doesn't do the trick, you may need a prescription. 

Good luck!

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

chris_ruff
on 7/15/15 8:30 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

i'm sorry you lost your insurance, that sucks. you may be eligible for a market plan through the exchange. you can check it out HERE. it's very dangerous to go without healthcare. you also may face a tax penalty. best of luck. 

--Christina
AmyDee123
on 7/14/15 3:47 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Yes, take melatonin before you want to sleep, wear a sleep mask to cut out all light, be sure you keep your eating regular and on timed intervals (digestion times can effect sleep), Be sure you have NO caffeine or stimulants 3 hours before you want to sleep, and make sure you stick to a schedule when you have to sleep during the day.  When its time to sleep, turn off all distractions, even the phone.  And make sure no one can disturb you.  

I had to deal with this personally and I had to time EVERYTHING to make sure I was able to get some sort of restful sleep.  Also, it helped me to have the room I was in as cold as possible when I had to sleep so that it would be more relaxing, and have the tv on in the background quietly, or a radio, so it was like white noise.  

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

MaronitaMay
on 7/14/15 5:30 pm

I have sleep issues and prescription meds did NOT work for me.  My doctors recommended I take:

one 3mg melatonin tablet and three 530 mg Valerian Root capsules

These are both natural substances.  FYI the Valerian Root capsules have a strong smell but they work.

My doctors had informed me that there was no known side effects with these.

siberiancat
on 7/15/15 12:15 pm - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I would also add that if you snack - make that snack protein.  Made a rule that all meals and snacks are protein,- then add veggie or fruit.  But always protein first.  Boiled eggs, tuna, sliced meat, cheeses,  greek yogurt, bottled whey isolate protein, protein bar, etc.

Pack your snacks, so you always have them on hand and don't eat from "feelings" or unhealthy foods.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/15/15 6:01 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I also work a rotating 12 hour schedule & switch from day to nigh****ches. I've done this for over 8 years & it does take awhile to get used to it, & that's if you get used to it. Your body naturally wants to go to sleep at night & you have to constantly fight it to stay awake, ditto for trying to sleep during the day, so I feel your pain.

I'm not sure if you can get in a quick nap while working nights because sometimes you only need a good half hour to an hour at night & you might be good to go for the rest of the night. I know for me I'm really sleepy between 3 and 5am, so I try to get in a quick nap during that time. When I get off work in the morning I try to go to sleep as quickly as possible, I keep the room cold, & I put up black out shades to keep the room dark.

I won't have as good a rest sleeping during the day than the night, but it does o****il I get back on a day watch. Try eating turkey & eggs in the morning, the tryptophan in the turkey might make you sleepy, or try melatonin drops a half hour b4 you go to sleep. I use a fan blowing on me as white noise, it helps me fall asleep & it's nice to have a breeze.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active