5 months post op gain! Need advice

NikkyBeauty
on 7/20/15 8:57 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Forgive me for being long winded but here it goes I got on the scale yesterday and for the first time (since the week after surgery) I gained! It was only one pound, but here's why I'm concerned. The last time I weighed myself was two weeks ago at the gym and I had been on a really great losing streak coming from going super slow to going super fast! But for these last two weeks I haven't been able to make it to the gym, and I haven't been perfect with my diet not going to lie I had bread, i had a wrap with a tortilla and popcorn at the fair over these past two weeks So I've let a few carbs in. Now if I wouldn't have gained, I would think I was at a stall, but also I was at a different gym then my regular gym (not making excuses) but sometimes the scales are off especially at the gym. I don't have a home scale and I weigh myself normally at my gym. Anyways seeing that one pound scared me to death and being that I've only seen the scale go down, I'm thinking it was the carbs and lack of exercise that made the scale go up so I just put myself on another liquid diet and am making sure to get to the gym at least 3 times a week! So my question is was that too drastic? or are we going to see the scale go up and down during this journey? And with me being so early out, should I even have gained? I know in the losing phase I shouldn't be eating carbs so any advice? and tough love is welcomed!! 

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

NYMom222
on 7/20/15 9:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

One pound can still be a stall... Don't overthink it. I weigh myself everyday, I find that helps me to stay focused you just can't freak out at every fluctuation if you weigh everyday.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

NikkyBeauty
on 7/20/15 10:36 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Still new at this and it's getting harder just don't want to gain so it's still a learning process for me!

Maureen H.
on 7/20/15 10:05 pm
VSG on 10/30/14

Drinking a lot of water will make you gain water weight. Also, if you're not eating enough, your weight loss will stall. If you under eat, your body will store the food you do ingest because it doesn't know when it will get its next meal. You are starving yourself. Don't stress over 1 pound. I fluctuate between 3-4 lbs on the regular. I wouldn't suggest putting yourself on a liquid diet unless your surgeon gives you the okay. Last suggestion- make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time each day. I am typically lighter in the morning. Hope this helps! 

NikkyBeauty
on 7/20/15 10:42 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

So is it normal this early out for weight to fluctuate? I know it's just a pound but I've only seen the scale go down and when I seen the gain my first thought was oh it's the carbs! 

Maureen H.
on 7/20/15 10:50 pm
VSG on 10/30/14

Completely normal. I think I gained about 4-5 pounds around the 12 week mark. The doctors suggestion was that I needed to eat and drink more. You will go through periodic stalls. Just keep doing what you are doing. Do not stress over 1 pound. Like I said before, your weight will fluctuate depending on the time of day. It will fluctuate based on how much water you drank that day. Do not panic. We all go through it. 

NikkyBeauty
on 7/20/15 10:54 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Ok thank you!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/21/15 6:28 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On July 20, 2015 at 10:05 PM Pacific Time, Maureen H. wrote:

Drinking a lot of water will make you gain water weight. Also, if you're not eating enough, your weight loss will stall. If you under eat, your body will store the food you do ingest because it doesn't know when it will get its next meal. You are starving yourself. Don't stress over 1 pound. I fluctuate between 3-4 lbs on the regular. I wouldn't suggest putting yourself on a liquid diet unless your surgeon gives you the okay. Last suggestion- make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time each day. I am typically lighter in the morning. Hope this helps! 

Good god, I wish people would stop spreading this nonsense. Your body is not "storing the food you ingest because it doesn't know when it will get it's next meal." Starvation mode is nonsense.

OP, keep calories low, and don't eat more. You have plenty of fat stored for your body to use for energy. It doesn't need food for energy. It needs protein, because it can't make protein from fat. But that's all it needs.

There are lots of fluctuations in weight loss. If you are honestly keeping calories low, it all averages out in the end. If you have allowed more calories to creep in, then obviously loss will slow or stall.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Ethel S.
on 7/21/15 1:20 am, edited 7/21/15 12:18 pm

Based on your track record I am listening to you! Thanks so much. My surgery is one month from today.

Maureen H.
on 7/21/15 8:53 am
VSG on 10/30/14

Thanks for your response, I'll make sure I tell my surgeon, primary care doctor, and nutritionist that someone on a message board knows more than they do. To the OP: if you have concerns about weight gain, I suggest talking to your surgeon and/or your nutritionist (if you have one). 

Most Active