ALL SO NEW

Laquanayking
on 9/8/15 8:25 pm

Ok so I'm a little  overwhelmed at how large the community of WLS is.. In a good way I mean lol. Here I am thinking I'm the only person in the world thinking about receiving the surgery I'm so excited. I have a  consultation next month. This wouldn't be my first I had one a few years back but at that time I don't believe I was ready. Anywho do you guys have any tips or suggestions on what I should or shouldn't expect on this journey? I would be more then happy to here what you guys have to say from all stages of this process. Thanks 😊

peachpie
on 9/9/15 10:12 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Hi! Like you I looked into surgery about 5 years ago and decided not to. Partly determination to do it on my own (I didn't) and partly being unimpressed with the hospital staff at the time. I got a postcard from the hospital this past February advertising that they had a new bariatric team and decided what the hell! Had my RNY on 4/28/15, no regrets, no second thoughts, no complications.

What I expected from the journey-- for the pounds to literally melt off. Reality-- "melt" is an over statement. I'm losing consistently each week-- but "melt" in my head is a 6-8# loss a week... reality for me is 2-4# loss a week. 

Don't expect people to be supportive-- WLS is taboo and so many think its the east way out. HA0 they haven't a clue!! Gaining weight over the years was easy... surgery and adapting to the lifelong changes are whats difficult!

Insurance can be a bear to deal with-- know your policy and whats covered and whats not covered-- this can be an expensive process.

Expect to be told to lose some weight before surgery...I was like seriously-- if I could I wouldn't be here! But I did- and you can-- its a great insight into how life will be post op!

Good luck!

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Laquanayking
on 9/9/15 10:14 am

Thank you so much I really appreciate the insight 😊

Kathy S.
on 9/9/15 10:14 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with
Congratulations on taking control of your life and your weight loss journey and Welcome to OH.   ​ We suggest you research all your options for WLS and OH is the right place for that.  Once you have reviewed your options surgery wise and decided on one then your next step is to find a surgeon.  We can help you with that.     ​​ Here are some links that will be helpful in your research. ​If you have not done so, contact your insurance company and verify if they cover WLS and if so what procedures.​  If you have Medicaid and or Medicare, contact them to verify if they cover WLS, if so, what procedures and if there are any pre-surgery qualifications you have to meet.  Ask for a list of surgeons in your area that take your insurance then we can assist you with contacting those surgeons on your behalf to get you started on your journey!   Let us know if you need anything else.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active