No ride to surgery orhome. Need ideas

nakitah1
on 10/25/15 4:08 pm

Just like my headline says, I don't have anyone who can take me to the hospital or drive me home. In the last two years, I have lost everyone in my immediate family, other members live far away and friends are either working or out of country. I live an hour away from the hospital. A cab ride would be about $150 each way. Anyone have ideas on what I can do to get there and get home after surgery?

White Dove
on 10/25/15 5:04 pm - Warren, OH

You might be able to find less expensive public transportation to get to the hospital. Is a bus or train a possibility?

Could you just drive there and then stay in a motel for a few days until you can drive home?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Zee Starrlite
on 10/25/15 5:10 pm

Maybe I am wrong (I am in NYC $$$$$)! A motel for a few days would be more costly than the $150- cab ride. My concern would be how this person would manage herself and costs post weight loss surgery.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

nakitah1
on 10/25/15 6:11 pm

Post surgery support is not a problem.. My two best friends can't afford time of work to take me and the other is booked in cuba that week. But once I'm home, someone will be here everyday. My income is from rental property I own so I can take off as much time as I want and not be affected financially.

An answer to my question would be appreciated more

nakitah1
on 10/25/15 6:14 pm

The motel idea sounds good, thanks for the suggestion

Eggface
on 10/25/15 5:15 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) are sometimes partially covered by insurance. Sometimes it's just for elderly but I'd research it. Ask your Dr's office/bariatric coordinator if he knows of any medical transport services that works with the hospital, or ask a patient rep at the hospital. Google patient transportation and your hospitals name... sometimes the Hospital Auxiliary volunteers offer that service. You might call them even if they don't list it.

Does your surgeon's office have a support group you are attending... perhaps another member can give you a ride.

Are you active in any church? meet-up groups? book clubs, something like that.

Facebook groups in your local area... if they are an active member, posted many times sort of thing perhaps putting an ask out there to a few personally you have developed a online relationship with.

Click on Forums above for your home state and post there maybe.

Obviously, use caution in some of the above... sometimes the $$$ is worth the less risk. Hope this gives you a few ideas. Best wishes on your surgery!!

~Shelly

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

nakitah1
on 10/25/15 6:12 pm

Great ideas, thank you!

Kathy S.
on 10/25/15 5:37 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Exactly what Shelly said and Cabs are not safe. They won't send you home in a cab here in CA. Too many people were hurt due to you being "out of it" and were robbed, beaten up and worst. Don't mean to scare you but.... and you would need help getting in the house and you don't want strangers in your home.

Check with a home health care agency. They usually help in the home but I also know they transport the elderly to appointments and perhaps they would do so for you.

Keep us posted on how you are doing

Regards,

Kathy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

nakitah1
on 10/25/15 6:13 pm

Awesome, thank you!

hollykim
on 10/25/15 7:08 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 25, 2015 at 11:08 PM Pacific Time, nakitah1 wrote:

Just like my headline says, I don't have anyone who can take me to the hospital or drive me home. In the last two years, I have lost everyone in my immediate family, other members live far away and friends are either working or out of country. I live an hour away from the hospital. A cab ride would be about $150 each way. Anyone have ideas on what I can do to get there and get home after surgery?

staying in a motel for a few days is a good idea,but be aware the hospital will not discharge you to drive yourself to the hotel. You will have been receiving narcotic pain medication which would equal you driving DUI.

You would have to take a taxi or perhaps a hospital shuttle could be arranged to a very close hotel

where I live,one of the hospitals has a hospitality house for patients to stay in if they are from out of town ,for a few days until they/ family member is ready to be discharged. You might check on that with your intended hospital.

Most Active