CLOTHES! Aaahhhhhh

jennabee13
on 10/27/15 10:33 pm

I'm curious to know how everyone managed the rapid size changes. I am only 2 weeks post-op and guessing that after losing the next 10lbs, I will likely need to drop down a size. I can't imagine buying new clothes every few months. I'm frugal, but don't like suspenders.

WereYorkie
on 10/27/15 11:59 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Find your closest thrift store!! In 5 1/2 months, I've gone from a 30/32 to a 24...then a size 20 two weeks ago and I am already needing to go down another size in another week or so. I haven't spent that much money. We have a consignment store that has a 40% off sale going on right now and their plus size selection is da bomb!

I have spent less than $50 since the surgery and I am still the fashion diva of long ago...

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

Chanti_
on 10/28/15 2:20 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

Sadly I have some clothes from size 14 -24 in my closet as I always had intentions of losing weight and getting into my 'skinny jeans'. Ha! But I do plan on making use of the Goodwill both to drop off clothes as they get too big and pick up a few transition pieces while I'm losing. They say every 20 lbs or so you drop a size, until around size 10-12 then every 10 lbs you'll drop another. It's good to be a loser isn't it.

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/28/15 3:07 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I didn't change sizes quickly - but over months. I lost 20 pounds and my clothes just fit better. I have a simple sewing machine and I took clothes in - nothing fancy, just sewing up the sides seams on pants. Buy stretchy clothes. Wait to spend the big bucks. Accept any hand-me downs. I jut bought a bag of clothes for $2 at a rummage sale. Had to dig, but found several pairs of pant and a few sweaters.

Happy Hunting.

Sharon

Maria27
on 10/28/15 5:29 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Used clothes are cheapest if you can find them. But I've had really good luck at Walmart and shopping sales at Macy's online. I'm sure I've spent more than other people, but I need nice clothes for work. I just got 2 pants, 2 sweaters, and 2 shirts from Macy's for about $100. I just sort by price and look through the clearance. I also found a Columbia jacket on Amazon for $40. It is surprising how much easier it is to find cheap clothes in smaller sizes.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

RNY0615
on 10/28/15 5:46 am

I, too, had sizes from my smaller days, so I haven't had to buy much, but I'm 4 months out and now down to the smallest size in my closet.

The few things I've had to break down and buy, I've had good luck at Walmart and Amazon. Walmart clothes are very reasonable, especially on the sale racks! In my experience, they aren't a high quality and don't last as long as "nicer" clothes, BUT they don't have to because they're temporary!

I love the local thrift stores, but my OCD doesn't allow me to shop in them for clothes because of the HUGE selection and lack of organization. I just can't do it! I've found that consignment stores put out higher quality and designer clothes, and price them higher than cheaper clothes like at Walmart.

Also, I haven't tried to come up with cute, head-turning outfits... just stick with basic staples that you can rotate out without people noticing. a few pair of slacks, a few solid shirts, a couple of pairs of jeans.... basics.

jennabee13
on 10/28/15 7:34 am

Thanks everyone! Helpful advice! I have a Walmart nearby, so I'll start looking.

Neesie57
on 10/28/15 2:13 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Costco has Gloria Vanderbilt jeans for $14.95, so donating them to Goodwill when they are too big is easier than buying expensive jeans at Nordstrom.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

peachpie
on 10/28/15 8:16 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Initially my clothes only fit better. Then I had a couple of sizes on hand from prior weight loss. Then I needed to shop.

My shopping rule is spend no more than $20 on a single item. I do go to thrift stores but don't limit myself to only them. I get basics for work, black/brown/grey pants, and a skirt or two. I have more tops so I can mix and match across the bottoms I have. I still wear a lot of my 3X, etc tops...I just tuck them in so they look neat.

Burlington Coat Factory/Ross has been favorite places for me to shop. (I do not like the quality of Walmart's clothes.)

Only thing I won't skimp on are bras...I swear by wear a proper fitting bra. I've now had all sizes from 46DD o 38DD.

At this stage I see my size changing every month and a 1/2. If i get 10 wears out of an item, I feel its worth the purchase-- and I definitely have.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/15 9:31 am

Find a great thrift shop. I bought way to many clothes at first and ended up giving them away before I could wear them. Making sure clothes fit does make you feel better though.

Old Navy has great clearance.

Most Active