BAD Pain AFTER a drain was removed....am I alone?

kellygirl17
on 12/15/15 1:55 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm 8 days post RNY and had my drain removed yesteday afternoon.  Although the drian was a major pain in the butt it did not hurt while it was in me.  The removal felt weird but not painful.  However, since the removal the site where the drain was is exremely painful - feels like I'm day 1 post op and not day 8 all over again.  I've googled this and seen a few people posting the same experience, but I wanted to check in here and see if any of you had this happen and why?  How long did it last?  It looks okay - red, but not alarmingly but SO sore.  

I would greatly appreiate feedback if you have any insite.

Thank you all,

Kelly

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 12/15/15 2:43 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If it's hot to the touch or oozing, or you're also running a fever, you may have an infection and need to call the doctor.

Heck, if it hurts and you're uncertain, call the doctor anyway!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

rocky513
on 12/15/15 4:08 pm - WI

I had a lot of complications and was require to have that f*****g drain for 6 weeks.  When they ripped it out, it hurt worse than the surgery.  The surgeon said that some tissue had adhered to it and, when they took it out, that tissue tore.  It took a few weeks for the soreness to go away.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/15/15 6:02 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

That even sounds painful.  Ouch.

Sharon

terri101b
on 12/15/15 6:30 pm - Brunswick,, OH

I also had my drainage tube took out today,,it hurt when they took it out,,but now it is not bothering me at all,,i had a very rough surgery,,and to stay in hospital 5 days because I was in severe pain..I hope it gets better,,watch for infection..I would call your surgeon and ask them..good luck..

kellygirl17
on 12/15/15 6:36 pm

Sorry you had a rough time with your surgery and glad the tube removal isn't bugging you, it's your turn for a break!

kellygirl17
on 12/15/15 6:34 pm

Thanks everyone. It's so bad that I called the doctors office and she said to ice it and take a dose of the Lortab and see how it is in the morning. If it gets redder or oozes I'm going to ask for antibiotics - I don't want this to be what sets me back, ugh.

Im hoping tomorrow will be a better day. :-(

terri101b
on 12/15/15 7:39 pm - Brunswick,, OH

Hope that helps...get better soon.lord knows I know all about the pain...and finally I am getting relief...glad you called the Dr...keep an eye on it I am sure it will get better..

Most Active