No Soda (diet) - Fact or Fiction?

Heavens2Betsy
on 12/26/15 8:50 am
RNY on 02/29/16

Happy Holidays, Everyone!  

So, I got a Ninja blender for Christmas and a variety of protein sample packets (mybariatricpantry.com) and I've been experimenting.  I was told that after surgery diet soda is a no-no as it will stretch out my pouch and the gas will be uncomfortable.  So, I've weaned myself off of it.  However, I've been noticing (and feeling) that the blender makes a really frothy protein shake that has me burping quite a bit afterwards.  So, if frothy protein shakes are considered good, how is bubbly diet soda considered bad (except, of course, for no nutrition in diet soda).  Will I actually be able to drink diet soda at some point after surgery?  Or, am I over thinking it?   Thoughts?  Opinions?  Facts?  Thank you!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

White Dove
on 12/26/15 9:08 am - Warren, OH

I was at a support group meeting where they demonstrated what soda can do to your pouch.  They took a balloon, filled it with Coca Cola, tied the end and put it in a big clear bowl.  After a while the balloon exploded because gas built up in it. 

The truth is that is not what will happen to you because your pouch or sleeve is open on both ends.  Some people become uncomfortable from the carbonation.  It does not bother me and I drink plenty of diet Ginger Ale.  I did give up the Diet Coke a few years ago.  One of the protein shakes that I like is root beer float with diet root beer and vanilla protein powder.

Soda will not stretch out your pouch, but many people still believe that it will.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 12/26/15 9:35 am

When I hang out with my friends who have also had WLS, I observe their patterns. Many have not reached goal and some have had big regains. A common denominator among them is that they drink lots of diet soda and drink it with their meals. It is enough evidence for me to NOT drink diet soda. I know some people here can drink it in moderation with no ill effects, but many cannot. Just be careful.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

SkinnyScientist
on 12/29/15 7:03 am

What Laura said.

I discussed my fear of year 3 "bounceback" with my surgeons staff at my annual checkup. They told me that it is often that WLS patients get comfortable and return to old habits that put the weight on in teh first place.

Diet soda would be a gait-way drug for me. I would have the soda and then WANT the popcorn, with extra salt and butter to boot!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/26/15 9:36 am

Gas has to go somewhere. Either up or down. Typically both ways. I drink diet soda sometimes but I try to make it as flat as possible. I do burp and get gassy and fart more if I drink soda... Either one not so nice when you are working or out with friends.. 

E an if I drink diet soda - I never drink the "fountain mix style" in restaurants. Way too many chances that it had been acidentally mixed with fullsugar version.  And yes - it did happen to me... I was served normal drink , not diet... Got very sick. So unless it is from a can, or a bottle I can see - I don't take chances. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/15 9:55 am

This has been debated and debated. I did see a post by a DR who said the same thing one of the respondents above did that because we have valves at either end of or stomach the pressure from the gas in the soda will no distend our pouches. He also pointed out that he believes the story continues as way to try and get patients to take in better nutrition. Even water is better than diet soda. I drink a little soda occasionally however, I have found some brand make me burp far more than others. Last week I was given some diet Sprite and could not even drink it as I was burping so much. I make my shakes with lots of ice and they don't get as bubbly. Enjoy your Christmas gift.

HKT53
on 12/26/15 10:35 am - Toronto, Canada

Search and read the article written by Dr. Benjamin Shadle, "Soda after WLS: Debunking the Myth". Until that article, I was terrified to even have a sip of anything carbonated, even carbonated water. I had my whole family watch out for me, because have been known to grab and gulp first. After that article, I have had little sips of carbonated water when I am not digesting right. Problem is, Im fine but my kids are still slapping my hands. Oh well, always good not to do too much of anything. Just be conscious, its the artificial sweeteners, the sugars and the other ingredients in soda that is not good.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 12/26/15 12:30 pm, edited 12/26/15 5:00 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Why are you assuming that FROTHY protein shakes are 'good' for post-WLSers????  Maybe years way out. I still use pre-mixed Pure Protein shakes, the powders I make into puddings.  Others may have different opinions.

I don't have FROTHY shakes. (Do what you like pre-op, but post op - I not recommend it). About 6 months post-op, I went to a Muscle Grill with a WLS-friend because they made protein shakes for you and we thought it was a good choice.  They use a blender.  We split one and I only got two sips of 'frothy' protein shake and I knew it was a bad idea.  Burped for an hour - Never again.

I have 1 ounce of a diet soda, every once in awhile - 6 to 8 weeks.  On a very empty stomach, and I do not eat for hours afterward.  For me, it quenches my thirst and the cold bubbles feel good.  But I could do without it.  I had these left over from before surgery.  I have not bought any new ones - prob won't.  Ice tea usually for me.

So, I ditto everything that everybody says.

Sharon

Grim_Traveller
on 12/26/15 1:21 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Carbonation can't stretch your stomach. If it makes you uncomfortable, don't drink it.

Some claim diet drinks make them crave sugar. If it does, stay away. It doesn't for me. I drink a lot of diet soda every day. I like it flatter, but always have. It hasn't affected my weight or cravings, not even a little.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

NYMom222
on 12/26/15 3:21 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My Doc used to say no diet soda, now he says wait 6 months - only because they want you focusing on water and because it may make you uncomfortable. It still makes me uncomfortable for the most part, I have had little bits here and there... but for now it is not for me. Everyone has given good advice- beware, triggering a desire for sweets and drinking with meals.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active