Never really exercises.

Michmanbigboy
on 1/15/16 6:20 pm - Whitmore Lake, MI

I am just over 6 months post op. I am down just over one hundred pounds and loving life a little more each day. I just did my six month check up and told the doctor I do not exercises anymore than just what normal walking I do during my normal work day. He told me just keep doing what I am doing since everything was normal and I was losing weight at a great rate. I told him I think he over did it when he did the surgery since there are days I could eat nothing but my protein bar and liquid protein drinks. He just laughed and said enjoy the new life and take it for it's worth. My highest weight was 398 on July first, my surgery weight was 379 on July 8th this morning I rocked in at 278.    

Smile_and_nod
on 1/15/16 8:33 pm
VSG on 01/18/16

That is awesome! So... I haven't had surgery yet... its in three days. From my understanding though learning to exercise will play a part in the maintenance phase of weight loss which could actually still be 1-2 years out from surgery. I do home my surgery and experience will be as great as yours! I look forward to it. Congrats! 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/16/16 2:55 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I am a year out - keep up with the gentle exercising -- even at 278 you run the risk of damaging your joints with running etc.  However, ~20% of the weight that you lose is muscle - you may need to add weight training to keep your weight loss going at some point.  Keep your eye on long term keeping it off - your dr is giving you good support!

Sharon

zann50
on 1/16/16 3:29 am, edited 1/17/16 8:28 pm

Able to feel my xyphoid process (tip of sternum) it's been at least 20 years!

1-18-16......odd, this post was originally on a different subject,date and I guess OH is still having IT issues. OKAY??

RNY0615
on 1/16/16 6:53 am, edited 1/15/16 11:08 pm

Yay!  Keep it up! 

I don't have time to exercise (full time salaried career which often amounts to 45-55 hour weeks,  and law school full time- I barely sleep!) And it concerns me because of the maintenance phase,  but,  like you,  I have done really well so far.  Also just over 6 months out (6.5 actually)

5'0 female HW 260.  SW 234.  CW 155.  GW 125

I actually exercised when I was morbidly obese,  just not enough to compensate for my diet. I jogged (mixed with walking) 3-5 miles several times a week.  I feel like now at such a smaller size and lower weight,  I am softer and "fluffier" than I was when I was SMO and it's kind of a crazy thing to me.  I was more solid and not as jiggly when I was bigger and working out.  Not that I'm upset about the weight loss,  I'll gladly take the jiggle in exchange for 105 pounds,  but it is strange.  

I'm hoping I am able to transition into an active and fit lifestyle in a few years when my schedule allows.  It is my goal,  anyway.  I think this WLS journey is just like any other in life: it affects everyone differently and while exercise doesn't hurt anyone (barring health/physical restraints), there are some it helps more than others.  I believe some need it either to aid their weight loss or even just their motivation and state of mind.  Others can never even think about exercise and get to goal quickly with a sound mind.  

This place and other support groups and boards are fantastic for ideas,  problem solving,  and emotional support,  but it's also important that we remember everyone's experience is individual and different.  

Ha! Sorry so much,  I'm in a talkative mood this morning with no one to talk to lol 

Han Shot First
on 1/16/16 6:02 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I always see the stat that weight loss is 90% diet and 10% exercise, or occasionally I see it as 95%-5%.  It sure seems like it's the case.  I didn't do any exercising for my first couple of months, and lost a ton of weight.  I've been really active since then, and I think it's helped to shape my body, but I think I'd still be at my weight regardless.  

Congrats on the great progress!

--

150 lost and maintaining!

NYMom222
on 1/17/16 9:25 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I think the more weight you lose the easier it is to exercise. My doc says 30 minutes of activity. It is a  mindset too, that idea of being more active.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active