I've got My Surgery Date!

Heavens2Betsy
on 1/19/16 8:51 pm
RNY on 02/29/16

It feels like these 6 months have passed so quickly.  I initially thought it would take sooooo long to get here, and then feared that something would happen and it would all be a waste of time.  Well, it's working out!  I'm still afraid I'll lose my insurance coverage before the surgery, but I'm going to hope and believe that won't happen.  (Medicaid - they can take it away just like that |snaps fingers|)  

I went thru a full day of running around for tests and whatnot today.  First had to go to one building for an ultrasound.  Then had to drive to another building for an arterial blood test that can't be done in the regular blood lab (who knew?) and they had to stick me 4 times to get it - YOW!   Then, I went to the surgeon's office, saw a video that didn't tell me anything new (thanks to OH I feel pretty well prepared), saw the dietician (again), saw a Resident who went over all the paperwork and risks, then saw the surgeon, then saw another dr. who asked about me being part of a study (I declined).  Then, saw a nurse who laid out the med changes and the pre-op bowel prep.  I don't have to do any 2 week liver cleanse diet.  Just 24 hrs. prior on liquids and then take a bottle of magnesium citrate the afternoon before surgery.  Then they told me to drive over to the main hospital for pre-admission testing.  Got there only to have them tell me they don't do that testing until at most 28 days prior to surgery.  So, I have to go back again to do that.  Luckily I don't live far from the hospital!  It was a whole lot of running around, and driving back and forth (plus round and round thru the parking garage twice).  

I don't have to lose any more weight, just don't gain any, he said.  And, try not to go on any last meal type of food binges.  That's going to be my big challenge now - I just wanna have that one more X, Y or Z.  ACK!!  Still struggling with the I should have it because I deserve it syndrome!

Thanks everybody for your support and answers to my goofy questions.  I'm looking forward to getting my life back!  It's been a real education and I know it will continue for a long time to come.  I'm so excited to really get started on my post-op life!

Age: 55.  5' 8" SW 345 lbs.  RNY on 2/29/16 at UVA w/ Dr. Hallowell.     
Month 1 - 3/29/16: 319 (25 lbs. lost) | Month 2 - 4/27/16: 314 (5 lbs. lost) | 
Month 3 - 5/29/16: 303 (12 lbs. lost) | Month 4 - 6/28/16:  293 (10 lbs. lost)
Month 5 - 7/28/16: 289 (4 lbs lost) | Month 6 - 8/28/16: 282 (7 lbs. lost) |
Month 7 - 9/27/16: 278 (4 lbs lost)

MassHockey
on 1/20/16 3:40 am

Congrats.  Everything will go great!!!

Deanna798
on 1/20/16 3:44 am
RNY on 08/04/15

It will come faster than you think.  Hang in there,  you can do this! 

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

weigh2long
on 1/20/16 4:38 am

I have the same surgery date ! I too am having  a few thoughts of what i should eat while I can. I also want to be prepared and strong so thinking of doing some kind of stretching /exercising .

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/16 5:31 am

Good for you. It will fly by so hang on tight. Make sure and update us.

Heather P.
on 1/20/16 6:01 am

How wonderful!  I am so excited for you!   My paperwork will be submitted to the insurance at the end of this month so I should know if they approve it sometime next month.  So nervous!

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

scoates0
on 1/20/16 11:44 am
RNY on 01/29/16

Congrats!  The time will go quickly.  My surgery is on the 29th and I am still in disbelief that it is nine days away.  Lucky you didn't have to do the liquid pre-op diet. I have to do 14 days and this is one of the hardest things I have done but I know it will be worth it in the end. 

Most Active