Insurance road block 1 day before RNY surgery....

leannaw
on 1/28/16 2:51 am

I go in on Friday morning for my RNY and I just realized that I know longer have a "met" deductible which means Kaiser is going to want $2,600. I wouldnt freak out so much but my bank account is missing a zero! Has anyone had this sort of road block with Kaiser or another insurance company? Will the hospital turn me away after all this time, effort and money? I have a care credit card but I am pretty sure the limit is $350... Thanks in advance for your comment.

LA5767
on 1/28/16 4:32 am

I am a newbie here, and have picked up a few things, The best thing you can do Is contact your insurance company.  With Mine there is a designated persons for weight loss that are over educated with the Companies ins and outs, it is strictly based on what type or level of insurance you carry with them. 

Sadly I have to confirm, every year your deductible begins again...So I learned when I started this process back in October 2015 that with being a new year my costs would be deductible plus the co-pay....so you should truly call your Carrier right away........

Here's to hearing all the right answers and a Magic Zero appearing in your bank account!!!

If not there is a company called Care Credit, Google it, Basically its a Credit Card for Situations like this... Fingers Crossed.

Lynne

supershopper
on 1/28/16 4:48 am

Talk to your insurance and the hospital. It would be the hospital billing you not the insurance. Ask the hospital what is the minimum you can pay and then just pay that. Mine tried to charge me $4500 before they performed the surgery. I paid $500 and then they did it. Thats not to say I still won't get a 4000 bill from them.

Do you have an Health Savings Account from your employer that you can pay from? A credit card isn't ideal but if you you could make monthly payments to them until it is paid off. With interest of course.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/16 7:18 am

Some hospitals will let you have a payment plan. I did. I also got them to lower my bill. They get a lot from insurance companies. 

White Dove
on 1/28/16 7:29 am - Warren, OH

It took a few months, but a few years back I helped a friend renegotiate his $80,000 bill from a heart attack down to zero.  Start with your hospital social worker.  They will consider your income and ability to pay.  There is a lot of grant money available to them and they have to spend it on someone or lose it.

Also if you set up a payment plan with the hospital you will normally not be charged interest.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

kyzze
on 1/28/16 7:43 am
VSG on 12/29/15 with

I would first talk to your insurance about this. Since you started this before the end of the year maybe you won't have to pay the deductible. If you do still have to pay the deductible, tnben you can call billing department at your hospital and discuss a payment plan or you can see about getting surgery financed, I think it is called Care credit. My surgeon offered that at her office. Wish you the best.

NYMom222
on 1/28/16 9:20 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I realize this is late Thursday night hoping you aren't losing sleep over this and going for surgery in AM. You will be billed after surgery. As others have mentionec there are ways to do it. Good luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active