RNY or VGS

MTS31801
on 3/19/16 9:40 am

Ok I got my referral from my PCP on Wednesday. I am starting my journey. The big decision is RNY or VGS? I am diabetic and have high BP, I'm 55 and have a BMI  of 57.3. I just went thru the Before and After photos and it seems to me that the people with the most weight loss had it thru the RNY. Friends are telling me that there are more complications with the RNY than there are with the VGS. But I really like the results I see with the RNY. Any suggestions?

(deactivated member)
on 3/19/16 9:56 am

That is a tricky question. Not many people will be willing to proclaim one better than another. For me it came down to my co-morbidity's. I was very diabetic also, high BMI too.

But it's really more like these surgeries are like like an ax versus a saw. Their both just tools. They can both achieve the same ends, just by different means. But they are ONLY that, a tool. We use them as an aid to reboot our thinking, our approach to food as it were. They are very beneficial, but only if you decide to use them. 

I always try to remember that there is no "before and after" only "before and during". It is a lifetime commitment, that require's daily upkeep to maintain. But it is worth the work.

Let us know how it's going.

MTS31801
on 3/19/16 10:01 am

I Surely will Gary. I want to make the best decision that is right for me. Right now I can't do much and I miss not being able to move and get around. I just need to know where to go from here. I got my referral so do I go to my insurance co. or to the local Bariatric office.

HeadphoneGuy
on 3/21/16 4:02 am

I like that... no before and after, only before and during. This really puts it into perspective. Thanks. 

Spencerella
on 3/19/16 10:47 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

There are pros and cons to each surgery but the good news is there's likely no bad or wrong choice. Best of luck!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

MTS31801
on 3/19/16 10:49 am

Thanks Linda. 

hollykim
on 3/19/16 11:41 am, edited 3/19/16 4:38 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 19, 2016 at 4:40 PM Pacific Time, MTS31801 wrote:

Ok I got my referral from my PCP on Wednesday. I am starting my journey. The big decision is RNY or VGS? I am diabetic and have high BP, I'm 55 and have a BMI  of 57.3. I just went thru the Before and After photos and it seems to me that the people with the most weight loss had it thru the RNY. Friends are telling me that there are more complications with the RNY than there are with the VGS. But I really like the results I see with the RNY. Any suggestions?

a couple of questions to as yourself:

doy you have GERD or acid reflux? If the answer is yes,then you should not have the sleeve as it is a high pressure area and can make GERD worse afterwards.

Second Do you need to take NSAIDS regularly? If so you should not have he bypass since,NSAIDS can cause ulcers very quickly in bypass patients. It is totally not recommended for those who need to take NSAIDSThe sleeve is essentially the same stomach made smaller. It stands to reason to me, that if I cou

d take NSAIDS without problems pre sleeve,I can safely do so post sleeve. Some will argus and disagree but that is simply what I do. 

another thing to research is reactive hypoglycemia. This happens to some bypass ppl but not with the sleeve. It can be managed with food choices butit can be hard to get a program that works well to. Keep you blood sugar stable. 

Neesie57
on 3/19/16 8:47 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

If you click on the magnifying glass icon on the upper right of the screen, type in RNY vs. VSG.  You will find many, many threads on this subject.  Do all the research you can, and make an informed decision.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

seattledeb
on 3/19/16 9:09 pm

No GERD and a diabetic I'll bet the doctor will recommend the RnY.

You need to know everything about these surgeries. They are for life. Seek information like a sponge.

Good luck

stealthkitty
on 3/20/16 1:54 am
VSG on 12/04/15

It's true that there are more possible complications from bypass, like malnutrition and vitamin deficiency, but it is still considered the gold standard of weight loss surgery. I know a lot of people who have diabetes get recommended RNY because it has such great results with reversing it. But as Gary said, as far as weight loss goes, you can achieve the same results if you put the work in. Both are just different tools to get the same job done. Best of luck to you!

Katie
VSG 12/4/15

Most Active