Whats heartburn feel like?

Maria27
on 3/23/16 11:54 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I experienced a lot of nausea for years, and certain foods never agreed with me, particularly coffee. I always just thought I had a sensitive stomach and didn't think much of it until my symptoms got much worse after eating fatty foods. Then there was one day when I could barely get out of bed after eating pizza the night before, and it felt like someone kicked me in the side. It also manifested itself as hunger. I would eat an entire chipotle burrito, and then feel like I was starving an hour later. I realize now that was stomach acid. Anyway, all of these problems were cured by my RNY, and that is why I know it was the right surgery for me. I drink coffee everyday now!

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/23/16 11:57 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

ive had times where ill eat something and shortly after feel very hungry, but from some books I read I attribute it to sugar levels (normally carb heavy things)?

Maria27
on 3/23/16 12:25 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Sugar levels can cause it too, but I think it's a different feeling. Acid is characterized more as a gnawing feeling in your stomach. Different than how I felt after eating something like a bowl of cereal.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/23/16 12:00 pm, edited 3/23/16 7:45 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My surgeon performed an endoscopy before he would do my VSG.  I didn't have any type of heartburn or GERD before surgery, but I have it now.  I stayed on my PPI for about 1-1/2 years and recently stopped.  It seems to occur in the morning when I wake up and subsides during the day.

Many times it's caused by a hiatal hernia that can be detected and repaired.  Your surgeon's office should be able to advise you on their requirements and procedures.  Good luck 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

CMR1075
on 3/23/16 12:14 pm
VSG on 01/15/16

My surgeon did an endoscopy before VSG as well, only to find I had a hiatal hernia. Would explain the years of GERD. When he did the VSG, he repaired the hernia at the same time. Fells so much better now! I still get a little burning sensation every now and then and take my medicine for it but usually it's every 3-4 days before I take it. 

Heartburn sucks lol.

hollykim
on 3/23/16 12:22 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 23, 2016 at 5:03 PM Pacific Time, ChrisTufano wrote:

So, I know with VSG you shouldnt go that route if you have heart burn issues

I dont have any diagnosis of heart burn, and I dont even know if I have it. I do occasionally get a burning/hot sensation in the middle of chest normally if I havent eaten in a while. Instinctively it makes me crave carbs

Is that heart burn?

yes,it is. Also,one can have silent reflux ,where there are no overt symptoms,but it will be noted on a sleep study,as mine was.

Darcy G.
on 3/24/16 1:49 am
VSG on 04/07/16

My surgeon requires a barium swallow before surgery, but not a full endoscopy. The barium swallow can detect a hernia and reflux, and general structure. That's pretty much all he's looking for prior to surgery. Then the day of surgery, he does an endoscopy in the OR before cutting.

I too have a small hernia to have repaired, and am having a VSG. Without a PPI, I have moderate GERD symptoms(burning in the esophagus, burps... and I started avoiding spicy foods or tomato-based stuff, which was when I realized I needed to see my Dr about it.).

As of now, it looks like we're going forward with VSG okay. Though I think I saw something in the literature about changing surgeries if one is contra-indicated. Not sure where I read that, if it was another doctor's protocols or mine. Gonna have to ask that Monday when I see him.

Followup on Silent GERD note above: It can be silent, but it can also manifest with an actual pain feeling, not burning, but pressure and pain in the chest. Before we got the right PPI for me, my GERD had gone from burning to pressure/pain in my chest that radiated to my teeth/jaw and totally gave me heart-attack wiggins. But which had nothing to do with my heart.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Most Active