11 years out with abdomal problems

Kelly636
on 5/23/16 7:52 am, edited 5/23/16 10:34 am - Durham, NC

I'm hoping someone can help. Having issue for the past 5 months. Finally went to the Dr a couple months ago (just my family dr. I had my surgery in a different state so I don't really have any bariatric surgeon to follow up with). Abdominal pain, quick bouts of nausea out of nowhere. No rhyme or reason when or why the pain or nausea starts. Eat, not eat, drink, not drink. Doesn't matter. I thought the pain was in between my ribs, but it seems to be that spot but to the right. Dr recently had me get an abdominal CT Scan, blood work, everything turned out fine. But the pain is mentally exhausting. I'm a strong person, but I KNOW something is wrong. The soonest available Upper Endoscopy I can get is in September. They are solidly booked. I haven't seen a gastro Dr. Do you think I should ask my primary to see one? Maybe they have other ideas what it could be. Also, my breath has been awful too. Nothing fixes it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Oh, and I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that two  years ago I went through something similar like others are saying with my gallbladder and finally after two ER visits and many many test (that were normal until they weren't normal) I had my gallbladder out. Also, I was thinking maybe pancreas but the dr said that was more on the left side of my stomach. Sigh. I am not  a whiner and yes, I've been whining, lol.. Its exhausting with these symptoms. So bad, that, I really want to apply for this job at work that is a level above and I think I'd like, but, I'm afraid that I will need to take off right away for medical stuff and I can't afford to do that....

Thanks everyone

pammieanne
on 5/23/16 8:45 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

Well to the right of center is where your gallbladder and pancreas are. Many years ago I had gallbbladder issues. They are intermittent and very intense when an 'attack' happens.

My 16yo daughter is having issues/pain/pressure in the same area you are describing. They've done tests, and are leaning towards pancreatitis... But like you, we're on a waiting list. Ours is to see a gastrointologist (being under 18 she has to see a pediatric one, so the waiting list is crazy)

So maybe it's your pancreas or gallbladder?

These things are so hard to discern! Hopefully they'll get you diagnosed soon!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/23/16 8:57 am
RNY on 08/05/19

That's what my gallbladder felt like when I had trouble with it (pre-WLS). Felt like I'd been punched in the gut and I'd be queasy for hours. Food didn't matter, antacids didn't touch it. I had plenty of tests, including a CT, an ultrasound, an endoscopy, and two trips to the ER, but it wasn't until a gastroenterologist had me do a gallbladder-specific test that it found anything.

I'd definitely suggest seeing if you could see a gastro doc. And worst case, they say "we don't see anything, talk to a bariatric surgeon."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

emelar
on 5/23/16 9:05 am - TX

It takes a HIDA scan to spot a wonky gallbladder.  A regular CATscan doesn't always pick it up.  And there's no harm in seeing a gastro now, particularly in light of how long a wait you have for an endoscopy.

blinder
on 5/23/16 9:55 am

I agree with everyone about it possibly being the gallbladder. I was in pain for a month and saw 4 different doctors before one sent me for a HIDA scan and it was discovered my gallbladder was only functioning at 1%. I had the CAT scan, ultrasound and blood work. I've been told that gallbladder problems can be one of the hardest to diagnose. Listen to you body and continue searching for answers. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/16 11:43 am

Google SIBO...

Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), also termed bacterial overgrowths, or small bowel bacterial overgrowth syndrome (SBBOS), is a disorder of excessive bacterial growth in the small intestine.   http://www.siboinfo.com/overview.html      

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kelly636
on 5/23/16 12:25 pm - Durham, NC

This sounds a lot like it. I just made another apt w/my primary and am going to print some info out on this and see what she thinks. Thanks so much.

jodiboone
on 5/23/16 12:07 pm

I would try to find a bariatric doctor in your area. I had RNY in Sept 2010. In Nov 2011 I woke up one morning with abdominal pain that was in the center of my chest. By lunchtime I was nauseated and the pain was worse. I am a nurse and worked in a doctors office at the time. The doctor I worked for sent me down to the ER. The ER did a CT Scan and blood work and said I had a bacterial infection and was going to send me home (we had just come home from a cruise so I believed it was possible that I had picked up a bug while we were on vacation). While I was waiting to be discharged, my boss looked over my CT Scan results and thought they looked odd. She called my bariatric surgeon and explained my symptoms and he sent me to his ER immediately. By the time I got there I was dry heaving non-stop and in severe pain. Within an hour I was having emergency surgery. The weight loss had created a small hole where they had rerouted the stomach and my intestines had telescoped through that hole, became twisted and was not getting enough blood. It is a life-threatening condition that is fairly rare in weight loss patients but it does happen. The ER missed it but my bariatric surgeon knew what to look for. 

I hope this isn't the case for you but wanted to share my experience. I hope you get answers and the job you are hoping for!! 

HW: 225  SW: 215  LW: 136  CW: 164= getting back on track!!

"For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

Kelly636
on 5/23/16 12:24 pm - Durham, NC

Thank you so much. So glad your surgeon caught that, whew...

jlpatterson07
on 5/25/16 2:27 pm - MA

Hi, I am sorry to see that you are having issues, I will tell you that you should be with a bariatric surgeon.  Your insides are no longer like that of someone who didn't have bariatric surgery.  I had major complications requiring me to have a complete reversal of my gastric bypass, but before all that I had issues after my gallbladder was removed.  I am just guessing but it could be the common bile duct?  Maybe?  Regardless of what it is you absolutely 100% need a bariatric surgeon.  Good luck.

Most Active