fast antidepressants anyone???

Marevic
on 6/28/16 12:10 pm - Canada

I had RnY 3 yrs ago and I am having a difficult time finding an antidepressant that works. I have been told to crush welbutrin sr by my follow up nurse yet the pharmacist said it should not be crushed. I have been crushing it for a couple of weeks now, I am not sure that its working. What I do know is that it tastes poisonous. So, this is my question, is there anyone out there who is taking any other type of fast release antidepressants?????? since we cannot take extended release.   

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/28/16 1:17 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Pretty much everything out there is considered "regular release," as there are only a few in extended release. (Wellbutrin, Effexor, and maybe Prozac are the major ones, if memory serves.) Even those 3 come in standard form.

If you've only been on Wellbutrin for a few weeks, you're still probably in the adjustment phase. I've been on LOTS of meds over the years-- I have bipolar II-- and I've never felt anything kick in sooner than the 4-week mark. I've also never had to crush pills, since I have no trouble swallowing them, but doctors' opinions may differ.

I'm currently on Lexapro, and I was on it for several years before surgery with no change. It's worked well for me, but other meds that have helped other people just don't do jack for me. Trial and error is the name of the game.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

-Flo-
on 6/28/16 4:06 pm
DS on 04/11/16

Before my DS, I took Effexor extended release now I take the immediate release of effexor. Most meds come in both forms, just ask your doctor to change your prescription. You should never crush an extended release med. 

PulchritudinousGirl
on 6/28/16 8:23 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

I take Cymbalta which I love! Right after surgery I was told to open the capsules and put it in yogurt or whatever.  It totally messed up my levels.  Once I was able to start taking it in the capsule things went back to normal and now I feel much better.

RNY 3/21/2016 Highest Weight 232, Goal Weight 135, Current Weight 126

March-20.9, April-15.7, May-11.6, June-13.9, July-7.9, August-7.4, September-7.4, October-6.0, November-5.7, December-5.5

Save

sheriberi29
on 6/29/16 3:43 am - Cleveland, TN

I'm on xr Wellbutrin and feel I'm getting very grumpy and irritated since surgery but not sure if it's just the process. Immediately post op I had a pill come out whole !!! The dr said if it continues to happen after a few weeks I'd need to talk to my pcp but I do not have any clue if it's ever happend again( I haven't seen any sign of it ) good luck with finding something that works well for you !

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/29/16 6:40 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You may be going through the "hormone dumping" phase. Estrogen is stored in fat cells, so when we lose quickly, we get a flood of hormones that can make us extra-cranky.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

LeapSecond
on 6/29/16 5:57 am - AR

Your follow up nurse is misinformed.  Trust the pharmacist.  Never crush a SR /CR / ER / XL pill.  It will give higher doses for a shorter amount of time if crushed with possible overdose.  Try asking the pharmacist some options of crushable antidepressants in the class you are taking (welbutrin or bupropion is a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor or SSRI)  Ask your doctor if you can try a different one or the same one in a regular release.  Wellbutrin comes in a regular release form.  If welbutrin is working for your mood try putting it in other foods to mask the flavor. 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Marevic
on 6/29/16 6:28 am - Canada

Thank you. There are 2 things happening, the pill is taking some type of effect and it is changing my mood into a very negative one OR its simply not working. I will go back to the pharmacist and discuss what my other options are.

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/16 7:17 am

Wellbutrin doesn't work for a lot of people . Personally, I use it to encourage exercise but not for much else. 

The only reason I like it that its not a weight gainer and some physicians even prescribe it for weight loss with an antianxiety drug to counteract the jitteriness.

Most Active