Exercise and Weight Loss

Grim_Traveller
on 6/29/16 5:35 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't think anyone is trying to give exercise a bad rap. I certainly wasn't. I think anyone will be better off mentally and physically by maximizing their activity. 

But when the question is specifically connecting exercise to weight loss, the answer is, not so much. Weight loss is about cutting back on calories.

I am much more active than I was before weight loss. And I'm glad I am. But when I creep up a few pounds, it's strictly because I'm eating too much -- not because I'm exercising less.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/29/16 6:36 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

No one is trying to give exercise a bad rap. I also replied on the exercise forum about the weight loss post. It's just like Grimm & the others mentioned. Exercise in it & of itself doesn't get the weight off. Dietary changes & limiting the amount you eat does get it off.

Too many people are depending more on exercise to get the weight off & not changing their eating habits, or even worse, they eat back their calories, or they overestimate how much they're burning off.

Exercise is good for the body & should really be looked at it in that perspective, not by what the scale shows. Screw the scale.  

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/16 4:39 am

I know; I said that, too.  I was speaking in regard to long term health, total wellness, and realizing the benefits of exercise.  I don't want someone who just had WLS to get the idea that exercise shouldn't be part of their regimen when they are ready.  

Oxford Comma Hag
on 6/30/16 7:46 am

I think you are equating movement with exercise. No one is endorsing sitting on our duffs all day. Some people cannot or choose not to have an exercise routine, but they move a lot more than presurgery.

I'd rather take a boot to the shin than go to a gym, but I move around a lot, garden, and lift heavy things. I don't just sit.

Too often we see posts where exercise is glamorized as the magic bullet. How many infomercials are on tv that advertize just 20 minutes a day of Beach Body Super Abs with no changes to diet needed? Tons. It's a pervasive myth that we can exercise a lot and get a thin body.

I've seen a lot of people here post they've gained but they go to the gym 10 times a week. Why? Too many calories.

I'm not against exercise. I am against using it as a magic bullet and also the idea that if we don't do HIIT or Crossfit or whatever trend is on FB then we're doomed.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/16 7:52 am

You do have to move in addition to your normal daily routine to consider that exercise, so in that regard, yes.  But in my post, it says that each person adapts based on their own needs and their activities and hobbies.  I adapted in my way and I am sure you will adapt in yours.  Is one better than the other?  It's a moot point, because that's not the point.  The point is to be healthy, happy, and consistent.  As long as we are able to maintain that long-term, our bodies, our hearts, and our minds will thank us.  

Willie H.
on 6/30/16 11:45 am
VSG on 08/26/14

Great post, I agree with it all! At 57 I feel better than almost ever-other than when I was in my 20's and in the Army. Exercise is good for posture, for well-being, muscle tone, stress, and it makes you look smaller than your weight. While it's true you cannot out train a bad diet, exercise and/or activity certainly has it's place. They both go hand-in-hand!

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/16 5:39 pm

Yes Grimm, I was just pointing that out because we also posted in the Exercise Forum about exercise and I just wanted to make sure people understand the benefits of total wellness and how limitless they are :)

mute
on 6/30/16 5:39 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I think exercise is a wonderful thing and is incredibly beneficial to one's health. And can have a huge impact to many things to your health.

BUT I don't think that it leads to weight loss - it may lead to a small amount of weight loss but not a huge amount. Like the studies show exercise is a portion of what's important but what you eat is way more important.

I don't exercise. I mean, I have an under the desk elliptical but that's not actual exercise and I know that, so I know that I'm missing that element in my weight loss but I would never tell anyone they shouldn't exercise.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

PulchritudinousGirl
on 6/30/16 7:26 am
RNY on 03/21/16

Thank you for all of the great information!  I am so grateful for all of the wisdom and knowledge shared in this community!

RNY 3/21/2016 Highest Weight 232, Goal Weight 135, Current Weight 126

March-20.9, April-15.7, May-11.6, June-13.9, July-7.9, August-7.4, September-7.4, October-6.0, November-5.7, December-5.5

Save

Most Active