Possible infected incision, and does anyone take fluid pills?

kyhmm72
on 7/1/16 7:17 am
RNY on 06/14/16

I've got a call into my surgeon's office and am awaiting their return call.  I had surgery 17 days ago and got my staples out last Friday.  All of my incisions healed up well, except one that started looking irritated a couple of days ago.  Now it's red and kind of oozing yucky stuff, so I figure it's infected and I'll have to go see the doc.  I sure don't want to wait a three day weekend with it like this.  I've washed it good with antibacterial Dial soap and I put some Neosporin on it this morning after my shower.

I have a question regarding fluid pills (that I will also address with the nurse or doctor, whether it be by phone or a visit).  I was on 3 mg. of Bumex prior to surgery and have been on fluid pills for several years due to fluid retention.  Kidneys and heart checked out okay, and my cardiologist is confident that my RNY will cure the need for the fluid pills.  I've not taken any since three days prior to surgery and really hadn't seen the need to until yesterday.  I'm noticing some swelling in my legs and around my ankles where my socks are.  Does anyone take fluid pills after RNY?  I'm wondering about taking 1 mg to see if I can get this fluid off.  I've also not lost any weight this week and was actually up 4 pounds this morning.  I'm trying to not let this discourage me because I know the fluid is the reason, but I really want to see the number on the scale keep going down...

Thanks in advance for your input.

~Helen

Lap band - 8/2003
SW: 345
Lap band removed - 8/2013

RNY - 6/14/2016
SW: 315

mschwab
on 7/1/16 9:46 am
RNY on 11/21/14

I took them with a blood pressure med, but my PCP took me off of both after RNY.  They are pretty hard on the system, so it is better to find other ways to release the water weight.  Best non-medication method is drink more water. That helps me when I have temporary fluid retention.

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

NYMom222
on 7/1/16 7:59 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

There is probably not a lot they are going to do for your incision unless it gets really bad. I've had incision lines open in spots and you just have to stay on top of them. Make sure you are getting enough protein, you need it to heal.

As far as the legs go only you know how bad the swelling is. I took a diuretic/water pill presurgery. I agree with drinking more water. Also walking to get things moving and then when you can keeping them elevated. Diuretics can mess with your potassium so I dont think I'd take one unless tbe doc said so.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

lking
on 7/2/16 12:08 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

The doc may put you on an antibiotic for your incision.  As for your water retention, I agree with the others, drink more water...a lot more.

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

kyhmm72
on 7/7/16 11:38 am
RNY on 06/14/16

They actually called me in an antibiotic for the infection, after having me send a pic.  I took the last antibiotic yesterday and the incision looks MUCH better.

The nurse also told me to take a half dose of my diuretic, and overnight I lost 7 pounds.  I'm keeping an eye on things and hopefully moving in the right direction now.

Thanks!!

Lap band - 8/2003
SW: 345
Lap band removed - 8/2013

RNY - 6/14/2016
SW: 315

Most Active