Post surgery sweats?

flowerchild603
on 8/1/16 4:43 am
RNY on 07/26/16

I had RNY on 7/26/16.  The procedure went as planned other than some extra time needed to work through scar tissue.  I came home on Friday and have been doing well getting my fluid and protein in.  I have weaned off the narcotic pain meds and am regularly increasing my walking.

I was 200 lbs on surgery day and 211 when I returned home.  The increase was attributed to the fluids administered in the hospital.  Today is 6 days post and I am 204lbs.  The extra is coming off very slowly. 

My biggest issue/concern is the night sweats!  I wake up completely drenched after being in bed for just an hour or so.  This continues all night to the point that I am stuck to the sheets and can hardly roll over.  Jammies, sheets, pillow, mattress pad - all can be wrung out and need to be laundered.  Risking TMI - this sweat stinks to high heaven!!  I can't even stand myself! 

Has anyone else had this issue?  How long did it last?  

RNY at CMC Manchester NH 7/26/2016

White Dove
on 8/1/16 8:55 am - Warren, OH

It sounds like low blood sugar to me.  If you don't have a glucometer, please get one.  I will start sweating when my blood sugar goes below 60.  If not treated, low blood sugar can be fatal.  I keep glucose tablets next to my bed and a glucometer.

A snack at bedtime could be the solution, but please check this out.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

flowerchild603
on 8/1/16 12:53 pm
RNY on 07/26/16

My sugar has been good.  This is like the night sweats when I was going through the change - only 10x worse and with the odor component that I don't recall from past experience. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/1/16 9:23 am

It cna be BSor ..simply hormone dump... how old are you ?  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

flowerchild603
on 8/1/16 12:49 pm
RNY on 07/26/16

I am 59.  Ive been checking my sugar and it's been running between 87 and 117

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/1/16 12:54 pm

I was asking - because some of us get the hot flashes  - due to hormone release from fat as we lose weight... My friend is 68 and she still gets horrible hot flashes once in awhile... She is allergic to some foods and if she eat that (just because or if she did not know was in the food) she gets hot flashes for 2-5 days after... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

z_m14
on 8/1/16 3:38 pm
RNY on 07/05/16

The first couple nights after my surgery I had the night sweats. It went away after a few days. I read that it's just the body's way of adjusting, but if it continues, you should call your surgeon and see what he or she has to say.

Most Active