Nutritionist Appointment

MTS31801
on 9/12/16 12:40 pm

Well I had my first appointment with my Nutritionist today. She reviewed the programs with me and took my vitals and measurements. I have blood work to do and an EKG. I have to do a food journal too. I don't like having to log everything I eat and drink. I find it boring. Welcome all suggestions, and any help.

Kathy S.
on 9/12/16 1:11 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

One step at at time and your surgery will be here before you know it    Use one of the many apps that are out there and logging food, water and exercise is fun. We have our own here on OH called Health Tracker. Click the little icon in the upper right hand corner that looks like a mountain. Set up your goals and weight and then start using the food tracker.

Keep us posted on how you are doing 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

stacyrg
on 9/12/16 1:25 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

My suggestion would be to get used to measuring and logging every bite of food you put into your mouth.  I know that most of the successful vets here strictly measure and log everything.  When I was pre-op I decided that I would emulate the successful people on this site, and although I'm 2 years and 4 months post op, I still measure and log.  Every bite . . . every day.  I was in the hospital for 3 days earlier this year and was limited to broth, sugar free juice and protein shakes.  Yep, logged it.  I'm maintaining a 130 lb loss and I attribute that loss to making good food choices and logging everything I eat.  Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/12/16 1:25 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

If you dislike logging your food, you're in for a sad surprise post-op.

Surgery isn't magic. You still need to watch what you eat, and many of the most successful long-timers around here have logged their food Every Single Day since they had surgery.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Daisydoo02
on 9/12/16 3:21 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

took the words right outa my mouth!!

U Julie

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Lovely_Caprice
on 9/12/16 2:17 pm

I am 4 days post op.  I know my success will depend on me logging every bite and drink that I take.  This will be part of my life forever. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/12/16 3:23 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

With that attitude, you'll do great :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/12/16 3:38 pm

Logging is great. I thought at first it would be bothersome, but it's so easy. I can see patterns and what I need to adjust. When I was early out, I used to log what I was going to eat for the day to help me stay on track.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

chassibi
on 9/13/16 2:57 am

Everything pp's said--but it also helps with planning. Figuring out how to get your protein in while staying under a calorie threshold can be a challenge and no way could I do it without logging! 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

crystal M.
on 9/13/16 10:49 am, edited 9/13/16 3:50 am - Joliet, IL

Logging/journaling is so helpful to your success.  I am 7+ years out and I plan my meals out for the week and it is a helpful tool.  I can see ahead of time if a meal won't work because it has too many carbs/ calories and I will be over for the day.  I use My Fitness Pal daily. 

Fooducate - is another good app.  You can scan an item and it will grade how healthy that item is.  Based on things like sugar, trans fat, GMO, high fructose corn syrup, artificial food coloring and sweeteners.  Best of all if your food of choice comes up with a mediocre grade it will suggest alternatives.  I love this app.  My only gripe is that I wi**** had more food items in its memory.  The app's goal is to teach you to make the right food choices.  I like that.  When I first got the app I was running around the store scanning everything just to see what it would say...LOL.   

with the both of these apps I can make substitutions and I can make grocery lists.  I look up items and decide what is the best choice in terms of calories and carbs....even before I get to the store.  Seems like a lot of work but regaining and having to lose weight is a lot more work....trust me. 

Not to get ahead of myself but I would also suggest a Fitbit or something like it.  It will motivate you to get up and move. 

Most Active