gastric sleeve

lauriegirl143
on 11/13/16 9:11 am

so, i had a gastric sleeve about 4 years ago.  for about the last year i have had terrible reflux and also throw up after most meals even though i feel hungry.  i went to my dr. and got an endoscopy done.  turns out i have a part of my stomach that has "pouched" out on the side so food gets trapped there (or liquids) i cant eat meat or many other foods because they get trapped in there and then i throw up.  my dr. says the only fix for it is to do gastric bypass which i did not want to do.  He says that he can remove that part and it should not come back.  has anyone heard of this happening?? this was not a side effect that i read or heard about.  please, any and all comments will be appreciated as i am facing some tough decisions.  i do not want to have more surgery.  thanks in advance.

Donna L.
on 11/13/16 11:19 am, edited 11/13/16 3:19 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

This rarely happens.  The times I've read about it occur if the sleeve was not created correctly, or if there has been overeating too close to surgery which can cause wonky healing for any gastrectomy.  I would get a second opinion from a surgeon who is used to doing revisions.  Make sure you get the surgeon's endoscopy report, not just the patient notes they gave you.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Ladytazz
on 11/13/16 3:37 pm

I suffered from GERD for years even before WLS.  When I had my original surgery in 2002 it included a sleeve.  At first my GERD was gone and I assumed it was because I lost weight but over the years it came back with a vengeance.  It was so bad I would wake up choking on acid.  I was taking at least 2 PPIs a day.

When I had my revision in 2010 it wasn't because of my GERD but it was a happy benefit that since my revision to a pouch I have not had any more episodes of reflux.

I took the PPI for 3 months as advised for post ops but since then I haven't needed to take any.

I am hearing about a lot of people being revised to RNY from the sleeve strictly to cure GERD.  It is something to at least consider.

I had a lot of fears about having a pouch, hence the decision to go with a surgery that didn't have one.  I am pleasantly surprised that it was nowhere near as bad as I was told it would be.

In fact, other than the fact that I get full much faster than before, and I get very sick if I eat sugar,  I wouldn't even know anything was different.

I had a few bouts of RH early out but thankfully none for at least 3 years now.  Dumping is not pleasant but for me at least it is a powerful deterrent to eating things with sugar in it which is one of the reasons I haven't regained any weight in 6 years.  I was a big sugar junkie and having a very good reason to avoid it has definitely been a positive thing for me.  I know that if I could get away with it I would be back to shoveling it in by the barrelful.  

Keep an open mind and listen to your doctor.  If you can't trust your doctor than maybe you need to find one you can trust.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active