Bariatric friendly PCP ATL area

msleesa
on 12/13/16 9:29 pm

Wondering if anyone in the Atlanta area has found a PCP who has knowledge of Bariatric surgery. I am going to have my surgery in Mexico but want to make sure I can find someone for follow up check ups when I get back to the states.

Valerie G.
on 12/14/16 8:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Provided there are no complications, all your PCP needs to do is follow up on your nutritional levels by way of bloodwork.  Most PCP's are familiar at least with gastric bypass, but even with the DS, I handed my new PCP documentation illustrating the anatomy, links to learn more, etc., and she was most grateful and happy to partner with me for my needs.

Now, if you have any complications, you will need a bariatric surgeon, and many tend to snub the idea of fixing someone else's mistakes.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Kathy S.
on 12/14/16 9:44 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It's hard to find one that is educated in our procedures.  Call some of the weight loss surgeon's  and local hospitals in your area and see if they have a list of PCP they worked with.  You will find you will have to educate your PCP, I did, we all have.  Not only does it help the PCP it keeps you responsible for your blood work and follow ups.

If the PCP does not seem interested switch until you find one that does.  My old PCP in IL was the one that encouraged me to have WLS. When I relocated to CA I had to educate my new PCP and she was very interested, did some research on her own and now is totally on board with labs and all. She even has her staff review my labs to not "any" decreases even if they are still in the green zones for non weight loss patients.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active