Post Op Question

mb_11
on 12/27/16 5:28 am

How soon after surgery can you take a bath?

I am just wondering what different people have heard from their surgeons (I know, I need to also ask mine).

can't wait!! 

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/16 6:58 am
RNY on 09/26/16

Weeelllll, this was one of those little rules i had to break...I don;t recommend it as we are all different but, I am a bath taker. It relaxes me and soothes me and helps me to feel clean all over. so I took a bath the minute I got home from the hospital and every day since. The first week i only did it when my husband was home to help me in and out as I had a lot of discomfort and just no strength. I have a big 100 year old claw foot tub and the sides are very high. I just made sure my sutures were very dry and clean when I got out.

mb_11
on 12/27/16 11:23 am

haha! This made me laugh! I am addicted to baths, myself, and since I can't eat real food right now I feel doubly restricted by not being able to take a bath. Tomorrow is 2 weeks post op for me and I might just go ahead and take one. I'm dying here. Hate showers!

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/16 11:49 am
RNY on 09/26/16

you know for me, at that stage i was so overweight that when i layed in the tub my tummy would stick out of the water if I didn't make the water too deep!

White Dove
on 12/27/16 7:11 am - Warren, OH

I was told no tub bath for four weeks.  Showers were fine from first day.  Soaking in water can soften the glue and sutures so it is advised to let them close completely before bathing.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 12/27/16 9:21 am, edited 12/27/16 1:21 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You need to wait until your incisions are healed completely.  The last thing you want is bathtub swimming cooties to make their way to your innards.  

This only takes 2-3 weeks.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

mb_11
on 12/27/16 11:24 am

Thanks so much for your reply! My incisions are almost totally healed. I cannot wait! Maybe a not-very-hot bath would be okay! :-)

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/16 11:48 am
RNY on 09/26/16

you will feel so much better if you do( I am totally the devil on your shoulder) if you are not having any issues with your incisions, I say go for it!

mb_11
on 12/27/16 1:41 pm

you crack me up!! It was DIVINE. ~~~drool. Love my baths!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/16 2:02 pm
RNY on 09/26/16

Then my work here is done!

Most Active