Obesity and hearing loss

EssenGm
on 1/24/17 1:42 am

Hi all, 
I'm new here and this for my sister. She overweight and she had tried several treatments to reduce her body weight. The sad fact is that her overweight is hereditary. So we are planning to consider a weight loss surgery. Since she is only 20, I wonder whether this could be the right age to get such surgery. What are the things that should be considered before the surgery? Who is the best candidate for this surgery? Actually, she also has a hearing problem and she is using HA's for better hearing. Will it affect the surgery in any way?Recently, I happened to read an article on obesity and hearing loss( https://www.hearingsolutions.ca/blog/obesity-linked-hearing- loss ). It explains the link between BMI and hearing loss. Is it scientifically proven? Does anyone here have a similar experience? Share your thoughts and suggestions. Thank you in advance. 

Hiraeth
on 1/24/17 8:40 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Hello! Technically, there is no right age for WLS. My surgeon has performed surgery on someone as young as 15. Things to consider during the surgery is if she is truly willing to make a lifestyle change. This surgery is not a miracle; but instead, a tool to help lose weight. Anyone with a BMI over 40, and anyone with a BMI over 35 with prior comorbidities, are both insurance based candidates. I'm not sure about the hearing aid affecting surgery; that's a question for her doctor. I actually had hearing issues before my surgery, which was caused by Pseudotumor cerebri. It causes pulsatile tinnitus and sometimes CSF leaking. Since the surgery, and losing over 65 pounds, my hearing has gotten better. Does your sister know why she is having hearing loss?

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/24/17 10:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

These would be great questions for a surgeon. Most doctors offer informational seminars and you could attend one with your sister, and you'd most likely be able to get an expert perspective.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

* Nicole *
on 1/24/17 12:36 pm

I dont know which surgery you are looking into but I had a duodenal switch at 22, Im nearly 34 now and do not regret it one bit.

But your other questions would be best addressed by a dr.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 1/24/17 1:35 pm, edited 1/24/17 5:38 am

People younger than your sister have weight-loss surgery and enjoy success.  There are some things, however, that I think are important to know. 

• Surgery is not a magical solution.  Anyone, regardless of the reasons for his or her being overweight, must work to maintain the weight loss.  Anyone will regain weight if they eat the wrong things or overeat.  To maintain weight loss requires that a person be mindful of their food choices and attitudes forever.
  • Surgery must be the wish of the person who has the weight problem.  For example, I knew a girl of 17 who lost very little and was very unhappy because she'd had surgery.  She did it to please her mother, who lover her daughter, but was forcing her own wishes on the girl.  Unless it is your sister who wants to get information, this is probably not the right time for her to consider surgery.

You say that your sister has tried several "treatments."  Because of our language differences, I'm not sure what you mean.  Trying  well-known, healthy food programs (one example is Weigh****chers) is very different from taking pills that promise to burn fat and result in weight loss even if the person does not change her eating habits.  You also don't say what your sister's BMI is.

I'm not a doctor or health professional.  Those are just my thoughts.  I have no knowledge about hearing loss or a connection to BMI.  That's a good question to ask of an otologist or otolaryngologist as well as a weight-loss (bariatric) surgeon.

It's common in the U.S. for bariatric surgeons' offices to offer patient support groups.  If it's the same in Germany, your sister can attend to talk with others who have had surgery or are considering it.

P.S.  I wish my brother were more like you.

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 1/24/17 1:37 pm

P.S.  I wish my brother were more like you.

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/24/17 3:11 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I wish that losing weight would have helped my hearing. Unfortunately I had four sets of tubes in my ears before I was 4 years old. I have lots of scar tissue that affects my hearing. It is a very interesting link though.

Most Active