Iron-Deficiency Anemia? Looking for insight...

ReadyforPlastics
on 1/26/17 5:32 am, edited 1/26/17 5:45 am

Hi, everyone!

I started feeling very fatigued and weak in about November or December and it got progressively worse.  I recently went to my PCP and she did some labs which showed iron deficiency anemia.  Here are my relevant numbers:

Iron  24  (37-145)  LOW

Transferrin 393 (200-360) HIGH

Calculated TIBC 550  (250-460) HIGH

% Saturation 4% (20-55%)  LOW

Ferritin 10 (13-400) LOW

Hemoglobin 11.3 (11.9-15.8)   LOW

Hematocrit 36.6 (37.4-48.3) LOW

MCV 76 (82-99) LOW

MCH 24 (27-33) LOW

RDW-CV 17 (11-15) HIGH

OK, so I've been taking bariatric advantage, which is an iron plus "c" vitamin for years.  My doctor told me to double it.  So I'd be getting about 300% of recommended iron.  She is also sending me to a gastroenterologist to make sure there is no GI bleeding. 

My questions for you all...

Is this iron deficiency serious - like are my numbers bad or pretty standard with anemia?  

Should a try a different type of iron rather than the bariatirc advantage?  What has worked for you?

Are sleeve patients prone to this kind of anemia?

Thanks so much for any insights and ideas!  

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

rocky513
on 1/26/17 6:19 am - WI

Your ferritin is VERY low.  I doubt you can bring that number up with supplements.  I would make an appointment with a Hematologist ASAP.  My ferritin was 10 and I was prescribed iron infusions.  I had to go through 3 rounds of infusions to get my ferritin up to a good range.  If it goes below 50 my PCP has me go in for infusions.  Many WLS peeps just do not absorb iron orally.

Look at your vitamin bottle label.  Does it have calcium?  Iron and calcium can not be taken together.  Iron needs to be taken with vitamin C and at least 2 hours apart from calcium.  Iron also should not be taken with coffee or black tea.  They block absorption.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

ReadyforPlastics
on 1/26/17 7:13 am

I didn't realize that was considered super low... I thought my ferritin looked kind of borderline and close o the lower end of normal.

I do take my iron and C separately for other things, but thank for for thinking to mention that.  I didn't know about the coffee thing - eek!  I will be more mindful of that for sure - thank you!  

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!   Galatians 5:22-23

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/26/17 6:31 am

Rocky is right. Try to find hema that treats other WLS people. They often are more understanding about our poor or lack of absorptions of iron. 

Once you bring it up with infusions- you may be able to keep it up with summplements . But getting it up from the low you are - may take a very very long time - if it is even possible. 

In last few years I had total of 3 series of iron infusions.  For now - this is working.  When my ferritin drops below 30 I get infusions. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ReadyforPlastics
on 1/26/17 7:14 am

I wonder if the gastroentrologist would about able to do infusions?  I have a PPO, so I can "self-refer" if I need too, so I can try to find a hematologist if the GI doctor cannot help.

Thank you for your response! 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/26/17 8:28 am

some can - some don't know what they are talking about.  I have a good gastro now - but my first one - was an "educated moron". I dropped him after one visit.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kathkeb
on 1/26/17 9:11 pm

My gastro would not, so my PCP. Referred me to a hematologist.

i got an infusion last May and then numbers were starting to dive again by End of November so I went for another infusion at the end of December since I had met my deductible for last year.

he says I will probably be a twice a year patient from now on.

i just don't absorb enough iron from food .... And the supplements make my reflux worse, and the PPi's reduce acid, so food is not as broken down ... So not as much iron available from food ..... Sort of a vicious cycle.

Kath

Grim_Traveller
on 1/26/17 7:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Where your ferritin is, that is still a tiny dose of iron. I know people who take 10 times that much, and still cannot bribg yheir ferritin up without iron infusions.

This is very, very serious. Both in day to day living and permanent damage. And if you were ever injured, bled, needed surgery in a hurry, etc, you are totally screwed. You have just about zero reserves.

I would run to a hematologist, preferably one who knows about WLS, and ask for iron infusions.

If your user name indicates you are looking into plastic surgery, fix your iron and ferritin first. Any good plastic surgeon should refuse to do plastics if they knew these numbers.

A lot of VSGers think they are not prone to vitamin and mineral deficiencies, but they are. This is common.

PS If you take too much of that brand of iron, you will get horribly constipated. Heme iron is better and non constipating, as is carbonyl iron.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ReadyforPlastics
on 1/26/17 7:11 am

Thanks!  I already had plastics a couple of years ago, so it's kind of an outdated username. LOL!

I didn't think VSG would be prone to any deficiencies, honestly.  As long as I took my vitamins.  Yeah, obviously I was wrong! 

VSG December 2011

Choose gratitude. 

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/26/17 7:44 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm glad you posted this.  Gives the rest of us an important "heads-up"!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active