Psychological Evaluation...

dondomit
on 1/26/17 10:11 am

I started my process in October, i have a meeting with my surgeon to decide on the procedure i want Feb13.  i also have a 3rd meeting with the psychologist... (my insurance requires a "nod" from him for approval which i haven't gotten yet) my question to you all is, did you have to visit with the psychologist multiple times?  i know he is trying to sniff out depression or serious food problems but.... but..... I'm not crazy!!!! (or am i)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/26/17 10:14 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I only met once for a couple of hours.  I think every weight loss center handles it differently.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

MsTwinkles
on 1/26/17 10:21 am
RNY on 01/16/17

My insurance only required one visit with the Psychologist.  It wasn't a big deal.

I filled out a 7 page questionnaire and brought it with me to the appointment, she went down the list of questions with me and we reviewed my answers together.

I felt like she was trying to determine if I had realistic expectations regarding the surgery.

You'll do fine!

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/17 10:25 am, edited 1/26/17 5:52 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Programs and personal needs vary. I met with a psychologist and took the MMPI, same day.  I was required by the psychologist to undergo 6 therapy sessions, however, after seeing my therapist 4 times and accomplishing what I needed to accomplish the other 2 were not required. My issues were binge eating and family. Several years ago I saw a psychologist for more than 3 years, love it, one of the best things I did for myself.  Doubtful you're crazy!  

heidikat72
on 1/26/17 10:58 am - PA
VSG on 06/17/16

I had one meeting for the psych evaluation - lasted about 2.5 hrs. Beforehand I had to fill out extensive paperwork - your weight history including previous weightloss attempts, family history, some info regarding any issues with depression, binge eating or other eating disorders etc.

Don't fret over the psysch eval. During the evaluation I was asked about my support system and also asked a lot of questions to make sure I understood the procedure I was having, understood the reason behind some of the "rules" and guidelines such as the staged food progression post op and most importantly that I understand I needed to change my lifestyle and that the surgery wasn't a magic quick fix and that was it and also that I had REALISTIC goals.

The purpose is to make sure you are fully prepared mentally for this, that you address any eating issues you have, learn new coping mechanisms and have a means of emotional support. All to make sure you have success!

The psychologist may recommend additional therapy sessions for you - again, designed to set you up for success NOT to punish you.

High Weight at Consultation December 8, 2015 - 442lbs

VSG Surgery Weight June 17, 2016 - 364lbs

landy
on 1/26/17 11:39 am

My program requires 3 NUT visits, 3 therapist visits (and a sign off to have the surgery) and at least 3 Group Support Meetings before a date is set as well as a 3 month waiting period. 

I just started my journey January 11, 2017.  So far, I've seen the surgeon, nurse navigator and therapist.  Next week I have appointment #2 with the therapist and first NUT appointment. 

I'm hoping everything goes well and I can get a surgery date for the middle/end of April. 

Miss B

Start weight (1-11-17) 281

Surgery weight (5-1-17) 245

Current weight (6-17-17) 218

VSG on 5-1-17

dondomit
on 1/26/17 12:39 pm

thanks for the input!  I have done first meeting with surgeon in early November, 2 psych visits, 2 NUT and Exercise therapist visits, my insurance required one support group session which I did and it was very small, 3 other people so I don't think I will attend another one there.  I have my (hopefully) final meet with exercise therapist and 2 more meets with NUT.  hoping to schedule surgery for sometime in april as well.  lots of hoops I guess but my facility is handling everything with insurance, the coordinator just tells me where I have to be and when LOL. 

Donna L.
on 1/26/17 12:52 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Every program is different.  I actually think visiting the therapist multiple times is more useful in the long run.  I do not feel the quick evaluations are as accurate or effective.  Psychologists and therapists work with many people, not just the mentally ill. :)  Even for transplant patients they do surgical evaluations, and theirs are much more intense than ours.  They will actually write a report or assessment to submit to the surgeon.  If you are curious you could ask for a copy.

supershopper
on 1/26/17 1:04 pm

really depends on surgeon requirements.

I took a 250-300 question test, had to have that sent off for 'grading' then met with the shrink. They basically want to make sure you don't have tendencies to hurt yourself or others, and that you are quite aware of what you are getting yourself into.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/17 7:00 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

I had one meeting with the group psychologist. We spent half the time talking about high school wrestling when we discovered that not only did we both wrestle, but we were at the same match for opposing teams one year, one weight class apart. The other half of the time he droned on about how to eat properly. He did ask me some questions, and pronounced that he did not see any food addictions. I am pretty sure he was right, given how I have been reacting since my surgery over three months ago. 

Most Active