Having a rough week

Jammur
on 2/9/17 5:38 am
VSG on 10/12/16

I am having a rough week. I had VSG about 4 months ago. I was doing great for the first 3 months, then I hit a plateau. It was expected, so I was not worried. II thought I had finally gotten past it but this week it has been different. This week I find myself looking for food to eat all day long, but especially at night. I am up 3lbs this week. I know I only have myself to blame. I know why. It is because I am eating more food. I just don't know how to stop it, and it is worrisome.

Any suggestions?

Deanna798
on 2/9/17 5:53 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Hi!  I am 18 months out from RNY and I understand exactly how you're feeling.  you're starting to lose that sparkle that comes in the beginning when our weight just slides off.  So many times I've heard that they don't do surgery on our brains.  

I struggle with it, but I'm back in therapy and I'm coming here and being a part of this community helps to keep me focused on my goals.  

Try not to beat yourself up too bad (so much easier said than done, I know this from personal experience).  Try to find a support group, or a therapist (if you're not already seeing on) who can help you to look at your relationship with food and figure out how to replace it with a healthy alternative.

Hugs to you and just know that you are not alone.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/17 6:07 am, edited 2/8/17 10:07 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Therapy sounds great, but it is a long term solution.  What about right now?  What about tonight, tomorrow, and so on?  How do you get some traction until that therapy (if you can get it) kicks in?

I am one day ahead of you.  I had my surgery on 10/11.  One of the things you can do is get rid of all the stuff you shouldn't be eating.  Get it out of your home.  Throw away perfectly good food if you have to.  It is not your friend.  It is your enemy.  Once you are left with only stuff that is good for you, the problem will be somewhat reduced.  It isn't going to magically go away, but gnawing on a piece of cheese is going to be better than a couple of doughnuts. 

Find something to DO.  I don't mean exercise, although that is an option.  I mean something that can take your mind and occupy it.  Give yourself something to concentrate on.  Don't sit in front of the TV or the computer.  Learn a hobby.  For example, you could buy a plastic model at the store, a tube of glue, and some paint.  That could keep you busy for weeks, depending on how much time you want to invest, and it would be low budget - less money than a couple of junk food meals.  

Read some books.  Get yourself out of your familiar environment that encourages your current behavior.  It could be something as simple as sitting in a different chair or in a different room.  These things will help break habits.  

None of this is a magic bullet, but you can make it work if you decide to do so.  Good luck with it!

ETA:  I almost forgot.  I do not mean to minimize your food problems, but there is a good chance your 3 lb gain is water weight, especially at this stage.  You'd have to really be stuffing the bad stuff down non stop to gain weight back right now.  Been there done that - the water weight thing, that is.  I "gained" an extra couple of pounds overnight this past week, and it is simply because I drank way more fluids than I normally do.  It'll go away on its own when it is ready.  In the meantime, work on those food issues.

Donna L.
on 2/9/17 6:43 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I went through this many times.  Ultimately I found that I had been so focused on food all of my other interests and joys fell to the wayside.  I had to rebuild and reconnect with them - a process I am still engaged in.

Food becomes our primary relationship sometimes.  That is the nature of addiction.  A thing, or substance, replaces a human relationship, both in our brain, but also in our lives.  I used to plan my day around when I would eat.  I absolutely had to eat.  I still do, sometimes.

I threw myself into research instead, post-op, as well as my career.  Now I am slowly working on my social life and hobbies, which is hard since I'm still working ridiculous hours.  However, it's a process.

As for having someone to blame, I accept responsibility when I do it, however I never blame.  Blame is negative and a judgment.  Remind yourself, kindly, that you can work on choosing otherwise, and you can select different things to do.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

suzzzzz
on 2/9/17 7:36 am
VSG on 06/23/16

When I have days where I feel like I just want to eat, I make myself drink some water, tea, or non surgary beverage first. That helps a lot. I also only keep food that is on my plan for weight loss around. Sure cheese is on my plan, but it is still up to me to only eat one piece and not 5. 

Write down your long term goals. Make a list of NSVS that will excite you. Keep a list of NSVS as you experience one. Keep all of those lists handy and read them each day. And lastly begin to visualize yourself as a slimmer and healthier you. Close your eyes and get at least a glimpse of who you will become. It really does work.  Our thoughts become reality so if we can change our thoughts, we can change our current reality.  It is a process and takes time, but something well worth the effort.

ThatMeanOne
on 2/9/17 8:06 am
VSG on 08/22/16

Ok.  I do have some thoughts because I have been having somewhat of a similar issue. 

Over the holidays I had a few bad eating days... but I powered through and was ok but not great...  January was another thing though.  I started grazing a bit - feeling hungrier.  Started amping up the gym - which saved me from gain - but I saw the slippery slope and it looked scary.  

Im seriously considering therapy - and will probably persue looking for a therapist during winter break.  

Then last week I went nuts.   Seriously nuts.  I ate for two days - non stop...   spaced far enough apart that I didn't get sick - and all protein so my macros were good - but seriously like 1900 calories Thursday and I stopped counting at 1900 Friday.  Then I got scared.  Because you know what ... I realized I can eat to gain.   It's not that hard. 

So here is my suggestion...

i woke up Saturday and committed to my surgeons plan - as written.  His plan is 6 small meals, high protein (100g), low low carb, minimum 64 oz water, no drinking 30 minutes before and 45 minutes after meals and weight training.  You know what.  I've lost  3 pounds since Saturday. That's following a total loss of 5 pounds the entire month of January.  

You can do this!  Go back to basics and recommit!   We are here for you - this is hard work but it is so, so worth it. 

ThatMeanOne
on 2/9/17 8:09 am, edited 2/9/17 12:22 am
VSG on 08/22/16

I meant to add I actually schedule the meals to keep myself from grazing so I know when I'm allowed to eat.  

Barbsleeved
on 2/9/17 3:17 pm
VSG on 08/22/14
On February 9, 2017 at 4:09 PM Pacific Time, ThatMeanOne wrote:

I meant to add I actually schedule the meals to keep myself from grazing so I know when I'm allowed to eat.  

This works well. I still schedule meals every 2-3 hours at 2.5 years out. Helped me get beyond my goal weight and so far has helped me maintain. When it stops working, I'll change it up 

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

reree6898
on 2/9/17 8:15 am - TN
VSG on 09/28/15

In addition to the great advise of finding something else to do like a hobby, I would suggest that when a craving hits go brush your teeth and then use strong mouthwash like lysterene or something with a strong flavor. It may help sway you from eating something for a bit till the craving passes. Something else that helps me is I chew gum. I know many say that is a no no but my dr said as long as I don't swallow it I can chew it. For me it gives me a flavor and the chewing and it helps with the craving. I also keep the pre made sugar free jello on hand at home. 5 calories, 0 sugar, 0 carbs for the ones I get. They are a nice guilt free snack for when I really feel the need to have a evening snack. 

Had VSG on 9/28/15

Lost 161 lbs since surgery, LOST 221 lbs overall so far!!

Nura777
on 2/9/17 9:46 am

You've received wonderful advise. I only want to tell you to be kind to yourself. You're human and your not comitting a mortal sin by looking at food or gaining three pounds. 

Hugs!

Most Active