Biking

Doyenne
on 6/7/17 4:58 pm

i used to ride my bike all the time as a child but not since I was 18 or so. Now a great deal older, and I'm kind of afraid to try it, to learn again. Any advice? I think biking would be good for me and I know I used to like it. I have a bike ready for me. Just... scared. Still overweight. But losing and this would help.

Surgery date May 4, 2017

HW 290. Start weight 229. Day of Surgery 209. Month 2: 190. Month 3: 182. Month 4: 174. Month 5: 164. Month 6: 159. Month 7: 153. Month 8: 147. Month 9: 145. Month 10: 142. Month 11: 138 Month 12: 137. Month 13: 139 Month 14: 131. Month 15: 130. Month 16: 131. Month 17: 128. 162 pounds lost!!

Two year anniversary upon me in 3 days: 136. Need to lose a few pounds..

sampeck
on 6/7/17 5:56 pm
VSG on 05/22/17

I am two weeks post op and I got cleared to bike. In terms of being scared to get started, try to find a bike path or an empty parking lot of something to get started. Also, biking with a friend is always more fun! I know several people who have lost a lot of weight biking. Good luck and have fun! And wear a helmet!

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/17 6:28 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

Was telling my granddaughter yesterday how I rode my bike everywhere, every day. We lived in the country, so after chores, I got on my bike and went to town to swim, ride around town, and then back home--ten miles a day, at least. Had to ride to piano lessons, to friends' houses, or anywhere I wanted to go. Some years ago, while going go college and raising my boys, I picked up a cruiser at a yard sale and rode it anywhere I needed to go---to the store, to pay bills, etc.

I would have trouble getting on a bike just to ride a bike. It's always been a means to an end. But that is how I view all exercise because of growing up on the farm in the country. To go out jogging was seen as ridiculous. One did not waste good work energy in that manner. There is a highly Puritanical attitude toward exercise I need to overcome.
If you enjoy biking, do it! We must do what makes us feel good!

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/17 11:48 am

That's funny. I am a city girl but, spent many a summer on my aunt and uncles farm. Your post reminded me how crazy my cousins thought we were for wanting to" lay out" in the sun for a tan. It was just so foreign to them. They worked in the sun and spent their down time avoiding it!

Cathy H.
on 6/7/17 6:37 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

I also have a bike waiting for me that I used for along time as an exercise bike. I put it on an indoor trainer rather than buying a separate exercise bike. It's a beautiful, silver ladies cruiser, and I can't wait to try it out! You'll remember, after all "it's like riding a bike!" lol

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Janet P.
on 6/8/17 4:41 am

Once I lost my weight I asked a neighbor who was a rider to let me do a test run. We live on a dead-end street but I have to admit it was scary but I also have a bum knee so my bike riding lasted all of 15 minutes. I guess I was obese for so long I really didn't have good memories of bike riding, so my riding days are definitely behind me.

With that said, absolutely try it. I think part of the WLS journey is to try things we were always either afraid of or unable to do because of the weight.

Go for it!!

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/8/17 5:58 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Odd you should post this, I recently picked up riding my bike again after Mother's Day: my husband got my bike out of the deep depths of the garage, had it tuned-up, got new tires and brakes as a gift.

I've been using it most days to run errands near my home -- but mostly, to spend time with my 11-year old son. We go on rides together -

I was very leery about using it. I had gotten it when I was still obese (in the 300's) -- and riding it wasn't pleasant at all. Since then, it had pretty much been in storage.

The experience is very different now -- enjoyable!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

peachpie
on 6/8/17 7:21 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I have a bike and I have apprehension about riding. Not sure why, I know I can ride. Last time I was on it I was only about 1/2 way through my weight loss, and I recall thinking that it should have been easier with the weight I had lost by that point. I think that is what my mind is stuck on.

That and i think my garage is super creepy and I hate going to get my bike :-)

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/8/17 10:35 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

By all means get out there & ride! Try riding in the park or somewhere there aren't any cars around to build up your confidence. There might be a bike club in your neighborhood that will have group rides or rides for newcomers.

Enroll in a class like a back to basics kind of thing, various bike shops might have something since this is the start of the biking season.

With that said, I ride everywhere! I ride to work, ride on my days off, ride to the store, group rides/tours, well you get the idea.

Julie is also an avid rider & I think Kathy ( oh mod) is into riding too & might chime in for some ideas for you.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Kathy S.
on 6/8/17 11:18 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Waving hi to my fellow Love Biking again members.

DO IT!!!! YOU WILL LOVE IT!!! If you find your weight hurts your butt when you ride, get one of the wider seats until you get to goal. When I first tried at my heaviest it hurt so bad. Then I went out and got a super wide seat (hello, my seat was super wide) and found it didn't hurt any longer. Also you may find your balance may be off so be sure and ride on sidewalks (not streets) and WEAR A HELMET I a from the generation where helmets were for losers. I took a really bad fall a few months ago and the helmet saved me from major head injury.

We want photos!!!! You can do it!!!!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active