KETOGENIC??

dmcs85
on 6/14/17 8:12 pm

I have been looking up keto. Isn't this pretty much the way of life that is recommended by our docs we follow. High protein low carb? It just has a name now instead of just "healthy" it is keto

Jester
on 6/14/17 8:37 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

Depends on your program. Many programs are similar to Keto. Mine has some variations. I am allowed fruit and small amount of starchy vegetables (way more than Keto would allow), but I am supposed to avoid dairy, artificial sweeteners and processed foods (all allowed on Keto)

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/17 9:03 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

What is the rationale for avoiding dairy?

Jester
on 6/14/17 9:40 pm
RNY on 03/21/16

In a nutshell, my doctor discourages dairy as it is often calorie dense and delicious which allows us to consume a large amount of calories quickly. Calories that primarily come from lactose (sugar) and fat. He prefers that his patients fat intake comes from things like raw nuts and avocados.

This is the simple explanation. The more thorough explanation has to do with set points and metabolic thermostats.

gbears
on 6/14/17 8:51 pm

Donna L follows keto. I am sure she could go over the differences for you.

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

Cathy H.
on 6/14/17 9:04 pm, edited 6/14/17 2:30 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

No, not really. Keto is not actually high protein, low carb. It is specifically high fat, medium protein, very low carb, absolutely no grains, no added sugars of any kind, and even most fruit is not approved on a keto diet because of the high natural sugars and high carb count.

This is contrary to most of the WLS programs I've seen (including my own), which are high protein, low fat, and low carb, allow grains and fruits, starchy vegetables, etc.

Healthy fats plays a very important role in the ketogenic way of eating. The majority of calories you consume in a day are supposed to come from fat, and the recommended ratios are 60-75% of calories from fat (or more), 15-30% from protein, and 5-10% from carbs.

This site has tons of great information about the way of eating and how it works:

https://www.ketovangelist.com/the-ketogenic-diet/

I follow a modified ketogenic way of eating, as I DO count calories. I don't know if going full keto would still allow me to lose weight like I have, and I'm not ready to take a chance on going full keto until I meet my initial goal. When I'm ready for maintenance, I intend to stop counting calories and do the full ketogenic way of eating.

That being said...I DID NOT start keto until I was 5.5 months out from surgery. Up to that point I followed my program guidelines to the letter...high protein, low fat, and low carb.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/17 9:06 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

I follow keto. You are right, many plans are basically keto - one difference is that WLS plans tend to look at carbs as a whole instead of considering net carbs. All WLS plans are different.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/15/17 4:23 am

The net carbs is a gimmick- I need to count all carbs.

Some fiber - from unprocessed veggies (some of them,) would not affect my BS, but most commercial "fibers" - added to foods are easily digested by our gut bacteria? and can cause BS spike. Our gut bacteria can learn to process any fiber...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/15/17 4:17 am

Keto is actually high fat- moderate proteins- low carbs.

Most of our programs promote high protein- low fat and low carbs.

Have in mind that some people still needs to limit overall calories to lose weight. Calories may impact weight? loss as we get closer to our goal.

Low carbs can also be very taxing for our adrenals.

I am at goal, and I need to do periodic carbs re-feed to limit my hypoglycemic episodes.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/17 4:54 am
RNY on 04/18/17

H.A.L.AB.; I am curious about needing carb reset to limit hypoglycemia. I am hypoglycemic and carbs totally exacerbate it. If I do have an episode due to failing to eat, I have to get in some protein or fat---usually I go for an ounce of cheese or some nuts. Same for my husband who developed reactive hypoglycemia in the military. I carry a bag of mixed nuts in my purse for both of us.

Most Active