Went 9 yrs with only 5 lb. regain and 5 lb.Loss Post Op ........THENNN ... came yr 10...

huskergalWsD
on 6/17/17 12:46 pm

Year 10 Post Op. I regained 20 lbs in 3 months. This must be the 20 lbs that everyone tells you about that you end up regaining after reaching your weight loss goal. I was doing very well for 9 years and stayed in control with only a 5 lb regain and loss about once a year that happened. Very proud of myself for that..Having one heck of a time trying to take this 20 lbs regain off. Thank god no more than 20 lb.regain Yet ! Last July i lost control ( I call it that ) many new things went on in my life and now my mindset is so off, out of control that is. What is it that gets you to that point to take back control ? You just wake up ONE DAY and say to yourself ( like self talk ) time to get back in control? Maybe that day is TODAY right here for me in O H...My life right now i would have to go solo, in order for me to take back that control. No friends No Family...etc etc....Son offers to take me out to eat for mothers day I say NO so he gets mad..It makes me want to give up and just let myself go. ........Its a fighting thought in my head..I am always trying to make everyone else happy that it always involves eating the wrong foods. I met my half brother for the first time last July he is 53 i am 59. I have kept away from fast food places all these years to stay on track with what i did lose 100 lbs after wls. well thats all he wanted to do go out to eat every day.. he wasnt happy unless we went out to eat. Damn that was hard. BTW, it dosent take much when going to fast food places to gain weight. When i was pre op i use to wonder just like everyone else if you can go back to eating the same foods as we did pre op. after getting to weight loss goal. Well i found out YOU CANNOT! You have got to stay eating healthy foods..If you go back to eating the same way as pre op you will regain your weight...

Thanks for Listening to me rant....I am already fighting with the thought of my 60th Birthday this June 28th, how i want to celebrate it without eating pizza buffet....time for tough love I guess even on my Birthday...PeaceV Wendy

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

bruindiva92
on 6/17/17 1:35 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Huskergal,

You have the determination to lose the 20 lbs--don't sell yourself short. You made it 9 years, yes count them, 9 years and stayed within 5 lbs of your goal. I think this is freakin' fantastic!

As being 2 years out with a new VSG to RNY revision, I haven't much to offer by way of experience. When eating out with others, I plan to carry a snack and something to drink. Since your brother likes to go out & eat daily, pack yourself something.....I will grab grilled chicken breast if I didn't bring anything with me.

I'm sure you can take back control and make the commitment to yourself to lose the regain--you have proven to all, especially yourself, that you have "stick-to-it-ness". Thank you for sharing your experience.

I wish you much success on your journey.

Kathyjs
on 6/17/17 4:43 pm

Oh you know how to lose it :-) I will be 14 years soon and sometimes, well a lot of times I feel selfish etc etc because I can never ever go back to eating like I used to. When it comes to our weight it's such a personal thing. No one else understands and sadly so many things revolve around food. We have to stay tough for US. If you lost 100 pounds you can sure lose this 20. I am 67 so I get the age deal too. Hugs and luck and strength

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/19/17 5:24 am, edited 6/18/17 10:24 pm

I am sorry to hear your are struggling. It is more a head game than anything else.

As for eating out - I eat out often, most of the time without sacrificing my diet.

I always chose dense proteins +veggies. And eat my proteins first then a few bites of veggies. Almost always I have food left over on my plate.

Even fast food places- they often have grilled chicken (skip buns - have it in as bowl, or lettuce wrapped) or burgers... Add some tomatoes, lettuce and pickles...a whole meal.

It is the choices we make. Ordering carbs - then eating them - that is a bad choice.

I often make sure they don't serve me any carbs. That way it is easier to manage. Bread- unless someone with me wants bread - we ask them not to bring it. Or I ask the person who is with me to put the bread on their side of the table.

As for your son - maybe in the future you can suggest you guys go out to spend time with each other- I.e going to a movie? You can enjoy each other company without eating out- if that is your trigger.

If you put your head together- losing the regain should be doable. 1-2 lbs a week, so count 10-20 weeks... Be patient.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active