Mira-lax,

Storm501
on 9/15/17 5:57 am

I notice that in a lot of posts menus it is common; Is it a part of life after RNY? I previously had the sleeve 3 yrs. ago and it was never mentioned. I'm now on the path to RNY, after weight regain, bile reflux, GERD. No surgery date yet but in the preliminary processes. Thank you in advance for your response.

Valerie G.
on 9/15/17 6:25 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Miralax as a menu item?

Well, it's not uncommon to get constipated for some. This may be from pain meds if someone is early post op. It can also be from the supplements or that person just gets constipated as their normal.

One thing that might make it prevalent with RNY is that they eat a very low fat diet (because some dump on fat), and the fat keeps things "moving". With a shortage of that, they may need the occasional boost.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/15/17 1:33 pm

"One thing that might make it prevalent with RNY is that they eat a very low fat diet (because some dump on fat), and'..."

I think your info is way outdated.

• I and many of my RNY long term friends - we don't eat low fat. We eat low carbs.
  • Technically - dumping only happens when person eats sugar- not fat. with too much fat - like DS- we can get oils slicks, fat flush, etc. NOT Dumping.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 9/15/17 5:46 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've known quite a few that dump on fat...like two french fries, so it's not false, but like dumping, everyone's experience varies, and read nutritionist advice and you'll see that they are still telling patients to eat low fat (they still tell DSers to eat low fat). I know it's ****ty advice but many patients treat them like gods.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

White Dove
on 9/15/17 6:41 am - Warren, OH

Many people have constant constipation after RNY and need Miralax regularly.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active