Sandostatin, anyone?

LynneT
on 10/15/17 10:47 pm
Revision on 03/21/17

Hi all. Asking questions again :D

I have severe post-gastrectomy syndrome with wasting, constant dumping, malabsorption, and blood sugar issues. I started Sandostatin (octreotide) injections around a month ago with magnificent results. However, the blood sugar problem seems to be getting worse since I started the shots. What happens is the BGL shoots way up and when it comes down it overshoots and goes into the 30s or 40s (not good!).

General practitioner said go back to the no sugar, careful with carbs eating I did before Sandostatin. I've already started. Anybody have any other ideas? Thank you!

Gonnabskinni2018
on 8/29/18 2:09 pm

How are you doing? Can you do an update?

LynneT
on 8/29/18 3:56 pm
Revision on 03/21/17

Hi Gonnabskinni,

I eventually started reacting badly to the Sandostatin and had to stop taking it in late December of last year. The dumping is much improved although I still have pain and nausea with eating and have to lie down after eating. However, I'm able now to maintain my weight at 120 which is within the healthy range for my height. I also rarely have any blood sugar problems anymore. Sometimes I have a hard time dealing with the fact that this is my reality, but most of the time I feel very grateful for what I have. Thank you for asking.

Kathy S.
on 8/30/18 10:22 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for the update and so glad things seem to be better

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active